Fingers locking up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fingers locking up

I was wondering if anybody's fingers lock up and then goes away. They took me off the 44 mcgs. of Rebif be cause I got sick and in a week I will be going back to the 22 mcgs. Since Ive been off almost 2 weeks I've had a couple wierd things happen and get a little scared. Could this be coming off the drug? My right eye saw like an Aura black outlined in yellow, fingers locking from time to time and not be able to eat without it going through me. Let me know your thoughts. The newness of this still scares me a little.

Thanks for any input.

Susie Q.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
    RRMS
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Hi Diamond,

I'm sorry you are having new symptoms . I don't think they are result of stopping Rebif per se (you were sick from the higher dose, right?) , but from the MS itself. (I had a bad reaction while I was on it and had to stop taking it altogether).

The aura may have been from an occular migraine, the locked fingers from spasticity, and you may be having looser stools because of neurogenic bowel.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/condit...r-migraine.htm

http://www.msfocus.org/article-detai...?articleID=868

http://www.msnz.org.nz/Page.aspx?pid=269

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/servic...iple-sclerosis

Please call your neurologist to let him/ her know about the symptoms.

Please let us know what they and best of luck!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Some of these MS meds have bowel side effects. You can speak to your neuro about any side effects.

TS RRMS dx 95 age 21, Gilenya

Comment

kimba

Kimba you are right doc said those are occular migranes and you are right about spasticity. I go back in a week and a half. This disease really keeps you on your toes. I also had my prism changed in my right eye. That is the 2nd time in 5 months. I've had dilopia since I was 13. Thanks for all your insight and information. It's people like you I depend on who have had this illness for so long. I do not call it the MONSTER! I think of it as a change in my body. I hope I'm not offending anyone cause quite frankly, I'm not that fond of it myself. Thanks again and to the other person who responded. Forgot to mark down name. ;D

My best....
        Susie Q.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
        RRMS

Comment

My fingers lock up sometimes, but it is usually after I have been holding something for a bit. When I go to release my grip, my fingers don't want to let go. It is really uncomfortable.

Comment

Kimba

After leaving the hospital yesterday they are suggesting another VEP test. But have to wait a week to have it done out of town. Had that Aura again but I don't have a headache. Wierd eh???

Thanks for your help in advance. I love your posting!

Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
            RRMS

Comment

Sounds about right

I was having migranes with aura. Here lately I just get the aura, well along with eye pain. It is strange, but as far as symptoms go not to intrusive. My fingers sometimes lock up after I've been holding something, but other times stuff just slips out of my hands. It's like my body forgets I'm holding/not holding something. I have never taken Rebif, but my feeling is that any changes we make, or stresses we put on our bodies, can cause the strangest issues. We just have to hope they are transitory problems!
              You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

Thanks Alishape! That sounds about right. I know have put plastic cups around where I drink water do to dropping glasses.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                RRMS

Comment

I have a few fingers and a thumb that locks..they can lock while bent, or while extended. It happens to the fingers on the hand that tendss to "claw" up.

They'll lock and unlock without any pain, but when the locking starts to cause pain and last for longer periods, I go to the hand orthopedist and get injections which usually take care of the "trigger fingers" and "trigger thumb" for at least 3 months.

It's not a condition specific to MS, you can google trigger finger. Evidently lots of folks get it. It's an inflamation of the tendon at the base of the finger. I don't mind it happening when it doesn't hurt, but when it starts to hurt, I make an appt. for the injections.

Comment

Hi Diamond (Suzie),

Nice to hear from you again but sorry about your new symptoms lately. I have had my fingers lock up or cramp before for a little while, few toes, or half of my hand once then it straightens out again. This is all caused by spasticity.

I think the nerves work on overdrive for people with MS and it causes a short circuit for a bit then reboots.

Hope this goes away soon for you!
                    Nikki

Comment

Working...
                    X