Stomach Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stomach Issues

I have a really sensitive topic. I have really bad constipation that will last 3 to 4 days. So my PCP put me on Colace (sp?), it is supposed to make the stool softer. Then I will have times where I have horrible diarrhea that will last for a couple of days. I don't know if I should ask PCP for a GI referral. Also are stomach problems an issue with MS.

hlburke87

I understand all too well.

I had been having the same problem. Then, a few months ago, I began having diarrhea after every meal. I would feel sick all the time because I couldn't keep anything down. My issue turned out to be my gallbladder. Had it removed and I'm back to sort of normal.

I have issues with constipation all the time (now that my gallbladder is gone) even before my MS diagnosis. Every time I took at stool softener, it gave me diarrhea.

I feel your pain (and embarassment). This is a great place to discuss even the most delicate issues.

Comment

Bowel and bladder problems are often an MS symptom. Is this the first time that constipation has occurred, at least as a major problem?

If so, I'd wait on a GI referral. But, if it's been a recurring problem, it's likely a good idea.

Please keep us updated regarding what happens.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

This has been an ongoing problem. It gets worse with every flare.

hlburke87

Comment

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your issues...I did a quick search, as I know this has been an ongoing issues for many on the board...and I'll post a few links to long discussion threads on Constipation and/or diarrhea. I'm sure others will add to the thread, but this will get you started.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ation+diarrhea

Comment

Yes. Then, probably, I'd request a GI consult.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I have problems with constipation too. It's no fun. But... I also have IBS and Gastritis and Graves Disease. Lately I've lost so much weight that it hurts to sit on the toilet. I went through a couple of days of being constipated and taking everything I could find to loosen things up. My weight loss is from the Gastritis ( so I've been told ).

Don't just blame the MS automatically. Go see a Gastro and hash it out until you get some answers. In the end, the treatments are the same, but it's nice to know that your issues can be coming from another direction.
              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
              X