New Sensory Discomfort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Sensory Discomfort

I have been very fortunate that I have had very little pain. Do get some discomfort with tight muscles in thighs and calf and occasional stabs of pain in thighs, but really not very bad.

I have pins and needles in my left foot which has been there nearly four months. It's annoying but hasn't caused me too much pain. The last few days though it is now actually hurting to stand on my feet. I thought it was from being on my feet too much, but now I notice it happens after only 5 minutes. It's a very odd feeling and hard to explain. On top of the pins and needles, they feel tired and swollen (not swollen) and sore as if I have been walking on them for hours.

Anyone ever had this strange sensory discomfort?

Never had it. And, I'm sorry that you are experiencing it.

Physical therapy can do wonders for a lot of ailments that we experience. Sensory discomfort sounds like something that they might be able to work with. I've heard that some people have had very good results w/ PT reducing or omitting pain.

If you want to give PT a try, please ask your doc for a referral to a physical therapist. And, let us know how it goes.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

It's a very odd feeling and hard to explain. On top of the pins and needles, they feel tired and swollen (not swollen) and sore as if I have been walking on them for hours.

Anyone ever had this strange sensory discomfort?
      Not exactly, but my feet tend to feel worse the more 'constrained' they are. When I'm wearing snug shoes (for hiking), after a while it feels like there is a painful crease/fold in my sock (but there never is...).

Paresthesias are generally felt to be skin sensations, not things like "tired and swollen" (which seems more like an internal sx). Is it possible you're having some kind of mild spasticity, and you are actually sore from that?
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

That happens to me everyday starting a few months ago. The pain in my feet and ankles gets pretty severe especially when I'm tired. They feel like you said, swollen ( but they're not) and like a tight strap is around my ankles. I feel like they won't hold me up and I usually have to sit when it gets severe enough until it calms down some. Sometimes I get these 2-3 second stun gun like zaps across my ankles too. Really painful.
        I'm assuming its MS related. Something new all the time

Comment

I have similar sensations. I've always been able to explain it by my skin hitting something I'm allergic to. It happens when I step on something barefoot. That 'something' could be a tiny black dot. I get that itching and prickly feeling around my ankles, too. I think it's because dust and dirt fly on them when I walk around outside.

Keeping everything perfectly clean works but it is exhausting. its still a mystery whether it's allergies or MS.

Comment

I can relate to the tighteness in the thighs and the calves. It's spasticity. There are times when the thightness becomes so bad that when it finally loosens up my muscles are sore. I also have the sharp stabbing pains in my thighs. At times they are so severe it will buckle my knees. Fortunately the stabbing pains have relented somewhat. But the sasticity is an everyday event.

We have tried all the usual Meds but nothing helps. I do take pain meds for the ever increasing pain.

Rest assured you are not alone. In the big world of MS someone else is also suffering from the samething. Best of Luck to you!!
            Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
            Babe Ruth

Comment

I recently had a sudden onset of extreme ankle pain and tightness, it lasted for a day. I wasn't able to walk on it or bend it at all for half a day and yet it wasn't swollen and I hadn't injured it in any way. To date it is the most severe pain I have felt, what made it worse is the pain was constant to a degree that I have never felt even when I have broken bones in past the moment of impact never even approached these pain levels....

The good news is it reset my 10 (the worst pain I have ever felt) so now my back pain is on at a 3-5 on my 1-10 scale instead of 8-10 LOL!

Comment

Working...
              X