Not used to going slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not used to going slow

I absolutely never dreamed I would get to this point. I was dx in 2001 and have done pretty well until the last few years. A steady decline.

Now, although I am still walking ( sort of ) I am completely worn out from the least little things. Everything hurts. It's a daily struggle to just keep going.

I have developed several autoimmune diseases and various ills. Each one seems to be worse than the one before. And from what I hear, the MS will and does make the rest of my problems all "seem" worse. I'm not sure which one is on the runaway train, but I'm sick every day of my life.

I have osteoarthritis in my hands. I remember my Mom having arthritis in her hands and she used some kind of gloves. Not sure if it helped. All I know is I can't cut food or open anything without a lot of difficulty and pain. Never saw that coming. Have tendinitis in my butt and hips, groin and legs. Also have Osteoporosis.

I never know what to treat. Which pill to use for which problem. So I tend to just ignore it all the best I can.

I always moved fast.. did everything quickly. Now I'm like a snail. This Christmas passed and I didn't do one thing... no baking.. no cooking. First time ever. I guess you call this "progression". Or just an unfortunate combination of a lot of diseases.

I guess I'm just asking if a lot of us here feel this daily drag, constant pain, utter fatigue more and more as time passes.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hi Marti,
    Although I do not have the pain as you do, the fatigue and feeling of being totally worn out is also a daily battle for me.

I was DX'd in 2000, so not so far off from yourself. Most MS patients will see this steady decline, it is a progressive disease. The DMD's are good for some to slow down that progression, but nothing is 100%.

I guess over the years, I've learned to take advantage of days when I feel that I can do more, and surprise surprise, I usually end up overdoing. Oh well. And the days when I just can't do it, I don't and I don't worry about it.

I feel thankful that I wake up each morning and that I have a family and friends that help look out for me. I hope that you have that in your life too.

But keep posting - this is such a great site to let it all out. The good, the bad and the indifferent. I've given and received so many virtual hugs, I cannot even begin to count them. So I'll give one to you (((((marti))))) and let you know that we care and hopefully can help you get through some of these rough days.

Comment

Hi Marti,

It's so nice that you put your birthdate and location in your profile. You are 3 years older than I am but I get every word that you are saying. There are so many doctors I 'should' see but I don't have the energy for all of it. I want to forget about it all, too.

Having MS and getting the usual things of aging is a giant bummer. I've been living with arthritis under my kneecap for many years and my hands have stopped working. I got up yesterday feeling like my body is just one big suffering even though I had a wonderful Christmas with my family.

I don't mind being slow because it has happened so gradually over the years. The hard thing is when I'm in a crowd of people. 'Lady you are taking forever.' I drive too slow. I talk too slow.

When Im in the check stand at the grocery store the checker hands me my receipt and I'm trying to put my cards away and close my purse the person behind me is stomping and pushing to get me out of there. Some day they are going to push me over.

You are not alone.

Comment

Marti, I'm three months younger than you and was diagnosed about 10 years ago. I've had a couple of debilitating relapses in the last three years and since then, I feel my speed, so to speak, has gone from fast to extremely slow.

Some days all I get accomplished is getting up, showered, dressed, dogs fed...maybe I have the energy to make dinner, other days, maybe not.

I force myself to get out of the house but the speed of the world around me is disconcerting and at times, scary. Grocery shopping seems to take forever. I'm alright with driving for now.

I too have arthritis in my hands, knees and hips. I suffer from extreme fatigue and I believe my headaches and dizziness are made worse from taking Lyrica.

I try to hang on to the joys in my life but there are days even that's hard. Hang in there.

Comment

The pain is weird, but all too true. I think it 's mainly from hopeless legs and whacking into doors, and swinging back while valiantly clinging on to walls and doors and bathtubs and stuffing up your muscles.
          And trying not to fall over. Always trying not to fall over.
          Do not ever clutch one of those automatic doors for support. Goodbye fingers.

Showers - I really do cry. Then I tell myself to grow a pair and just pony up and do it. I crawl out.

I am terrified of "being looked after".

Merry Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
            The pain is weird, but all too true. I think it 's mainly from hopeless legs and whacking into doors, and swinging back while valiantly clinging on to walls and doors and bathtubs and stuffing up your muscles.
            And trying not to fall over. Always trying not to fall over.
            Do not ever clutch one of those automatic doors for support. Goodbye fingers.

Showers - I really do cry. Then I tell myself to grow a pair and just pony up and do it. I crawl out.

I am terrified of "being looked after".

Merry Christmas.

I know what you mean about showering. I've been working myself up to it for 2 days now. Used to look forward to those showers.... even took a couple of them in the summertime.

And I notice my hands shaking more and more. I'm also afraid of becoming totally dependent on someone else. My husband has a host of serious medical problems and right now we're trying to take care of each other.
            Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

speaking of showers ...

I put them off as long as I dare .. I fell getting into the tub a few years ago. Thankfully my hubby was home to help me. I didn't break anything but I was bruised and sore for weeks.

The pain, fatigue and "slowness" is very common among us MS'ers. I remember the days when hubby and I would hold tight hold hands and set off walking FAST. Sigh... now I can barely walk from the couch to the bathroom using my walker.
              Karen

Comment

Eliminating sugar can help with the arthritis pain. Hard to do, but worth it- fresh fruit helps with the sugar withdrawal.

Comment

Working...
                X