Wii Balance Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wii Balance Board

Any one use this for at home therapy to help with balance? Just read a couple of research documents on it.

Originally posted by mm247 View Post
    Any one use this for at home therapy to help with balance? Just read a couple of research documents on it.
    I use the Wii fitness (with balance board) occasionally. But it always tells me that I am not balanced - standing off center . I can't help but smile and ask 'seriously? you think?'

Just curious - here did you find research on this, and what conclusions did the research documents come up with?

Comment

Evidence Based Practice….

…Most patient's balance functionally improved (i'm thinking they had to be pretty high level to begin with) decreasing falls and improving gait. There was also mention of a wheelchair adaption for the board not sure on where to get and price.

Comment

I used the Wii many years ago and did make dome progress with my balance. Nothing real significant but better. My PT had a great balance trainer called biodex which helped a lot. I used to have severe nausea, dry heaves, flushing with any balance difficulties but slowly this machine took care of the symptoms and improved my balance.

Comment

I haven't been on the wii for the last two years. I had a baclofin pump put in and i wasn't in any shape right after to do it. I've seen the board and keep telling myself I should drag it out and try it. maybe i'll have to try it tomorrow.

I too have to chuckle when it tells me i'm unbalanced.

Comment

love it!

had relearn how to walk after a left side paralyzing relapse, the therapist told me to try using a wii balance board when my sessions were up.
            that was 4 yrs ago & i haven't missed a week without it!!!

it does many of the same things that machines at therapy did. plus more challenging exercises and yoga.

i started out with my rollator locked down over the balance board so i wouldn't fall on floor. did land backwards on the couch a few times!

it's a great tool because you can use it no matter what the weather. i'm up to doing the running the island or biking a few miles!

i highly recommend it!

take care & God bless ya!
            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

hi!
              i was just doing my Wii exercises and wanted to tell you how to get to all the balance games that usually only show up after you've done your 'body test'.
              on the front screen of your mii profile, click on the door (on the left bottom corner) , then on the pic of the Wii Balance Board. After that it will show you all the balance games. You just click on which ones you want to do.

hope that helps those of you who want to use the Wii to help with your balance. I've also found the Penguin Slide (where you'eat fish' is an excellent balance game)

good luck with your balance, may you stay upright!!!

take care & God bless ya!

Comment

I used my WII faithfully for about a year doing Yoga and running. Wow, did I feel great!!! My balance was so much better! I have to get back to it.

Comment

Originally posted by kim-mastro View Post
                  I used my WII faithfully for about a year doing Yoga and running. Wow, did I feel great!!! My balance was so much better! I have to get back to it.
                  go for it kim! i'm sure you'll be glad you did!!
                  i get on at least 3 times a week. my 2 1/2 yr old grandbaby loves it. had to find her an old remote so she could 'exercise' with grandma. she also stands on a thick, large white book as her 'board'! LOL!

take care & God bless ya and ' balance you'!

Comment

Working...
                  X