The adventure of shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The adventure of shopping

Not fun! I swear, I think my legs are getting even weaker, even though that doesn't seem hardly possible. It's like taking a shower wears me out for the rest of the day! This does not exactly make things easier on me.

I've been working on making blankets as Christmas gifts, and I, being a total idiot, waited until the last minute to sew them. I ran out of thread and had to venture out to Walmart this afternoon. What a nightmare! There were no handicap spots (big surprise, any time it's not first thing in the morning there are none). I took the closest spot I could find. Then I wobbled on up to the door and there were no carts! I need a cart to hang onto because I'm too unstable! I had to follow an employee who was taking one back, but then there were other people heading for it too. I snatched it as they went to grab it and I hurried up and swung it around and walked away. They gave me the dirtiest look, but I don't care. I needed it way more than them. I'm just glad they weren't psychopaths and pulled out a gun because there are a lot of crazy people out there.

I just can't believe a simple trip to the store to grab some thread is so complicated. It's frustrating. I also don't feel like I should practically be put into a dangerous situation just to take care of my needs because Walmart is such a terrible store. If I had not gotten lucky enough to beat those people to that cart, there's no way I would have been able to get halfway through the store to get to the thread. It's like I can barely lift my legs and I end up stumbling and practically tripping on them. I'm still amazed I haven't fallen yet. I know it's coming.

The worst part about all of this is I called the dr's office on Monday to report my extreme leg weakness and nobody ever called me back! It's nice to know I've got a very serious situation and they take it upon themselves to just blow me off. Oh, that's right though, I'm doing great. I have no problems with my MS. I'm totally stable
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Happy Christmas. Shopping? Ha! Even picking up online purchases from the Post Office is beyond the realms of possibility. The nice chap who delivers parcels makes sure I get mine. Leaves them out of sight in the laundry, if I'm not home.

Honestly, I believe the drs, neuros etc really do care but there ain't nothing they can do about it, so it's easier to kind of avoid the eyes.
    The number of times my PHCP has ducked and weaved... I don't mind if they 'roids stuff me in the end, you know, well fair do's. I am not going to blame you, because I know the risks.

I don't care if the drugs that might just maybe make life easier today kill me next year. Truly, because today is today, and no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

Comment

i would send the store general manager an e mail explaining everything you had to endure for a spool of thread! the only way to fix the situation is to complain to someone higher up the ladder.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

phrasing it

I would phrase it as a educational moment for the store manager. Even if it is a complaint, that is the thing is that people will never understand until we educate.
        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I know that situation so well — if I can only make one stop, it needs to be a big box store so I can get everything that I need. But if I arrive and there is no handicapped spot or scooter, I can't shop.

So what I do: I have the local Walmart number programmed into my cell phone. If I get to the front door and there are no scooters or carts I immediately call the store and ask to speak to the manager. I tell them that I'm disabled, leaning on an endcap at the front of their store, needing to shop and unable to do so. I have called more than a couple of managers from their office way in the back of the store to make things happen for me — and they do! I don't hesitate anymore. Life is way too frustrating as it is.

Comment

Remember, you don't have to go to walmart for everything. This has helped me a lot. If you aren't too rural, you could swing by the drug store to pick up some thread. If you only need one thing, drug stores and dollar store carry lots of items. Many of them have carts and usually more handicapped parking available than walmart. I try to avoid that place like the plague. It started because all those choices sometimes leave me gaping at the shelves like a fish, but I have found other benefits. Good luck with your blankets!
            You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

Not sure if this is just in Canada but you can order Walmart stuff on-line and have it delivered. Maybe next XMas check your supplies out and place an order early. You couldn't pay me to go into Walmart on Dec 24, the people receiving your blankets must be really special.
              Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
              X