Trouble Judging Distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble Judging Distance

I am having a third exacerbation and discovering new problems daily. This morning I noticed an old symptom from my first attack 8 years ago had come back. I don't know what it's called, but I am unable to judge space and distance of my legs. I know they are there and I can see them, but I can't seem to judge where they are in relation to the ground. So when I am going up the stairs I mistake where the next step is and will take way too big a step and than of course stumble because the step is not that high.

I had this problem a lot 8 years ago and stumbled on stairs and curbs a lot. Also was made worse by dim lighting. I was a mess in movie theatres and moved at a snails pace.

Anyone know what this is called and what causes it?

Hi Jennagain~

I've had this problem before and know how strange it is. It's called proprioception and is due to nerve damage in MS. If this becomes a huge problem, talk to your pcp or neuro and ask for a referral to work with a OT who can work with you on learning ways to compensate.

*The word "Proprioception" is a combination of the Latin proprius, meaning "one's own", and "perception." It is a perception of self or, more accurately, a perception of where your body is and what it's doing; the sense you have of where your limbs are in relation to each other. The traditional senses (sight, smell, touch, taste and hearing) are essentially external: They collect information from the outside world. Other senses, such as balance and proprioception, collect information from the body*.

You can read more here:

http://synapse.org.au/get-the-facts/...act-sheet.aspx

Stay safe on those stairs and curbs as you don't want to fall! Do you use a cane or trekking poles or a walker? They might help during your flare. I hope it is short lived
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

AS IF I WROTE THIS MESSAGE MYSELF...

IT ALMOST FEELS LIKE YOU'RE IN A FUN HOUSE WHERE PERCEPTION ISN'T AS IT SEEMS. I STARTED EXPERIENCING THIS VERY SAME THING. I TALKED TO MY MS NEURO ABOUT IT LAST MONTH AT MY APPOINTMENT. IT'S SUCH A WEIRD & HIGHLY FRUSTRATING PHENOMENON, ISN'T IT? ESPECIALLY IF YOU LIVE IN A HOME WITH A LOT OF STAIRS (LIKE I DO) WITH TONSSSSSS OF STAIRS ON MY DAILY WALK.

I HAD NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES LIKE THIS UNTIL A FEW MONTHS BACK. CRAZY THING, THE NURSES AT MY DR OFFICE SAID THEY DON'T THINK IT'S NECESSARILY A SIGN OF A RELAPSE...I THOUGHT IF HAVING NEW OR WORSENING SYMPTOMS SHOW UP, ESPECIALLY IF THEY DON'T GO AWAY RELATIVELY SOON AFTER IT'S STARTED, WAS A PRETTY GOOD INDICATOR IT'S A RELAPSE....:/ I'D GUESS THIS LASTED LONGER THAN A MONTH...MAYBE EVEN TWO MONTHS. I, FOR ONE, SAY GOOD RIDDANCE!! BE GONE AND STAY GONE! NOW, I GET TRIPPED UP EVERY NOW AND AGAIN, BUT IT'S NO WHERE NEAR AS BAD AS IT WAS WHEN EVERY SINGLE STEP TRIPPED ME UP. TAKE CARE & GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND. I HOPE THIS GOES AWAY SOON FOR YOU.

Comment

Working...
      X