Viral resp cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viral resp cold

I caught this viral resp cold thing that's been going around. First my grandsons then my husband now me! My question is of course the virus makes my ms go crazy. Aching, cramping, dizziness, etc. they are not giving antibiotics for the virus but should I check in with my doc anyway?! Is there anything she can do? I'm feeling pretty lousy. Or do I just ride it out? Haven't really been sick for years! Watcha think?!?
    God only promises a safe landing, not a calm passage

If you stumble, make it part of your dance

absolutely check in with your doctor. They may not be prescribing anything for the virus itself but there may be something they can do to relieve some of your symptoms. The best rule of thumb IS TO ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR when something new comes along.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

They will not give you antibiotics for a cold since a cold is viral. Antibiotics only treat bacterial infections. There are ant-viral drugs but sometimes they are worse than the cold itself. You can also speak to your pharmacist about which OTC medications to take since they have a list of your prescription medications.

Hope you feel better soon. I remember them telling us that the best thing for a cold was a box of tissues and just let it run its course. Sometimes the treatment makes you feel worse than the cold itself.

Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Hi Objan,

We've got a similar bug making the rounds down here. No cold symptoms, just a hard hit in the chest with congestion and coughing.

Go see your doctor, let him/her assess your situation. Many of the people that have had it here end up with secondary infections from the bug and for those they do give antibiotics. Also inhalers seem to help this particular bug we're dealing with.

I ended up in the ER because mine got to the point I couldn't inhale without a violent coughing fit...had some x-rays and diagnosed with pneumonia. This has happened to me before with respiratory viral infections, so I wasn't too surprised. My breathing is somewhat compromised by my MS, so I guess that's the reason.

As far as OTC help, I think Mucinex is about the best med you can buy to help ease chest congestion. What's going around down here isn't the flu...they swabbed me for a flu test...and no flu. Just a nasty virus.

Bad news on the flu horizon though, I just saw this article saying they think the flu vaccine may have missed the mark this season. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/flu-shot...n-this-season/

Hope you feel better. Drink LOTS of water, rest, and check in with your doc.

Comment

I've had this cold for a while now. It started off with a body chill and the next day a sore throat. The congestion came shortly and went. Then a week and a half went by and started getting a dry cough. Then chest congestion and sinus congestion began badly. It's been a week and the cough and mucus is subsiding. This whole time my body has been sore. I get tired out and want to be left alone. Is this normal. I've never had this fatigue before due to a cold. I've contacted my neuroligist and she said to just ride it out, people with MS take a DOUBLE WHAMMY and symptoms tend to shine. Anybody else feels this way when struken by a cold?
          If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X