No announcement yet.

Sensory Overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that article was so helpful! I've been crying at the drop of a hat lately and that's not my normal MO. I'm probably fatigued! I load up on coffee and adderall and just push myself and then I become that kid who needs a nap, lol. Always crying and feeling overwhelmed. Wow. Very helpful thanks.

Comment

sensory overload

oh my everyone here said just right stuff. same here with noises crouds and riding in cars ,people talkins ,tv, seems like everything for years now .. i fell as if compleat melt down inside and out yes like brain shuts down and body follows and im scremming to myself inside oh no please not now and not here wats so hard is most people dont know the signs and i apppeard plastard so i dont go out . seem over years i compare to computer glitches and try to reboot or recoup. a emoianal reck. from mad t o crying it hard one for me latey[ sorry to ramble on seems i do that alot to

Comment

I Can Relate!

I never liked crowds due to social anxiety but now it's 100 times worse! I can't tolerate crowded stores, hallways, stairs, too much noise, light, movement around me. It all makes me very anxious and dizzy and uneasy.

I have bilateral Sensioneural Hearing Loss and you would think loud noise don't bother me but they do. In fact, I have an over active startle response to A LOT of situations, especially noise.

Comment

Hyper emotional reactions....emotional incontinence!

Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
          Wow that article was so helpful! I've been crying at the drop of a hat lately and that's not my normal MO. I'm probably fatigued! I load up on coffee and adderall and just push myself and then I become that kid who needs a nap, lol. Always crying and feeling overwhelmed. Wow. Very helpful thanks.
          Glad that Freed's article was useful.
          Linda
          "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Obviously a lot of us struggle with this. My challenge is with noise and sometimes with lights. I have teen daughters that play sports and the indoor games really create sensory overload challenges. Thus, I carry earplugs in purse and pop them in. What a difference that makes!! The plugs seem to filter out the intensity of the noise. My eye glass shop recommended tinted lenses (very slight and not really visible) to help offset fluorescent lights. That too has helped!

Large grocery stores and malls are the worst, but for me somedays I can handle it better than others. I usually shop at a small natural grocery store...I find that much easier to deal with and the store has better quality food.

I also seem to find that the noise, lights etc overstimulate my body and brain and many times have to take Xanax to calm my CNS. It is funny has I have struggled with this long before being diagnosed and I used to just think I was crazy lol!

Comment

Well they don't call it "Walmart Syndrome" without reason

I gave up store shopping years ago. To be honest never was much of a "shopper" so it was not easy to give up. I order things we need at Walmart online (free shipping for over $50 order...my husband hates Walmart too, and he doesn't have MS.) As I've said before, the internet is my friend, and all my Christmas shopping is finished and I never set foot in a store. My husband does the grocery shopping.

But although I don't have to go in stores, I find, at this time of year, especially, there are functions I need to attend. And during the year there are family functions, etc. I need to go to.

Over the years I've developed some techniques for dealing with the overload when you're at a party or get together.

Hope they might help someone.

1. Never stand and carry on a conversation, especially if you're in an area where people are milling around. You won't be able to carry on an intelligible conversation because you'll be too distracted.

2. Find a corner, and "park" yourself there...let folks come to you to talk.

3. Make sure the corner you pick is as far away from the music source if there is background music on.

4. When it comes time for the buffet line, don't get in it. Wait till everyone else has gone through the line, then go up and get your food. Or if your spouse or a friend is there, just ask them to get you a plate.

5. If seating is available at tables, or in the regular places of the house...don't sit at the table...stay in your corner to eat...if someone makes some comment, just say you find the chair more comfortable.

6 On Christmas, if the family tradition is everyone opening presents at once...get as far away from the hubub without sitting in another room

7. Always arrange a "password" with whomever you came with, and let it be your signal to them that you've taken all you can take and it's time to "vamoose."

And that brings my final suggestion.

8. If you get overwhelmed and you need to stay longer, if there is a place to retreat to to calm yourself (this could be an outside patio, a bedroom, if you're at a family or friend's house, or a bathroom if nothing else) do so, to take a break in the madness.

One other thing and this is only doable if you have extremely supportive family and friends...have the event at your house. We had a party here recently with around 40 folks. I do absolutely nothing but plan and delegate. Physically the work is done by others, in fact it seemed everytime I went to do something, someone was telling me to sit down. Others decorated, food was either ordered or others made and brought it. Online shopping brought the "supplies" to me and other friends came and set up the serving areas with the supplies. Everyone chipped in and cleaned up after. The best part is, if I need to retreat from the hubub, I just slip into my bedroom...nobody realizes I've taken a break...and I come back once I've rested a little.

Sorry for the length of the post, but I do live like a hermit for most of the year. I work from home, never do shops or restaurants, but my conviction is there are certain events you just can't skip, so I go and try to deal with the consequences of the MS in the best way one can.

Comment

rdmc - thank you for your insightful post. I also appreciate you using numbers. I've become somewhat sensitive to using bullets and numbers around here. Seems like I'm being a goober, but if rdmc is doing it, I'm in good company.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                  rdmc - thank you for your insightful post. I also appreciate you using numbers. I've become somewhat sensitive to using bullets and numbers around here. Seems like I'm being a goober, but if rdmc is doing it, I'm in good company.
                  Hey Marco, I use the numbers for me Otherwise I might post a point twice.

Comment

Working...
                  X