Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think the MDs sometimes give us too much resposibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think the MDs sometimes give us too much resposibility?

By this I mean they don't take time to explain everything to us the way the would a lay person. For example: Before I had my SPC placed, I had a Foley in. Now I know about Foley caths, have placed more than I will ever care to remember, but had never had one myself. Much less had one that I was going to take home and walk around with. OMG that thing was painful! I seriously thought about buying stock in AZO as much as I was using it.

So when I would walk around, it would bleed. Not a little, like in the hospital when you walk a patient, but a TON. So I called like a good girl, the attending of course was not there so the resident sent me to the ER. They decided I needed another catheter so they put one in. I am not easy to cath-hence the need for a foley in the first place. So it was a bit traumatic. The next day more blood, so they sent me back to the ER who just put me on ABX for 5 days.

Fine so I went to the mountains thinking everything would be fine, but I couldn't walk or move without the thing bleeding and just killing me. Same thing now. Hurts like heck, bleeds like a stuck pig. Urologist says its normal. No need to worry she says. Even with this new SPC I have pain. I think these were made for people who are in the bed, period. Not up and moving around. Its going to take me a while to get used to it thats for sure.

So, I don't want to be talked to like a child, or chastised, but I would like to have a peer discussion without them just thinking "oh, she knows about this stuff", because I might, but when it is on me I need a new lesson.

Thanks for letting me rant.
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Lisa, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I have no words of wisdom, just wanted to show support.

Is it a curse to have been a RN? Do the medical professionals assume you know more than the average person?

I hope things improve for you soon, you're too good a person for this!
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

That sounds horrible. I might want a second opinion.

One question. Are you well past the expected recovery time? Does the doctor think you've healed as much as you will?

Hope it goes better.

Comment

NO THAT IS NOT NORMAL!!!

It is possible the bladder of the cath, there is something wrong with: A) Catheter
        B) It was placed too low and not completely in the bladder. If that was the case, I expect you'd just push it in and take the risk of a bladder infection.

Other than that, 'I got nothing.' Sure hope you heal soon. jpt

Comment

I've only dealt with people who were asleep in the OR, but that certainly doesn't sound normal to me. And yes, they should explain everything to you. You've obviously never had one yourself before, so it is totally different.

I hope things get better for you soon. It seems like you've been dealing with way too much lately.
          Diagnosed 1/4/13
          Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

I think it is a blessing and a curse and in your case since your husband is also a physician I would imagine most tend to address you on a peer level.

One thing I have found helpful when it is out of my realm is to jokingly say "this is way out of my scope so you are going to have to put me on the idiot program and explain everything".

I hope you feel better.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Working...
            X