Life Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life Insurance

It is difficult to get life insurance if you have MS? Was thinking of buying a small policy. One of the questions on the application is if you have been treated for MS......

In my experience, yes. I have only been able to afford the guaranteed policies through my employer.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

I just got a policy through American National. The agent I worked with spent a YEAR with me going back and fourth between neuros and companies. He was recommended to me through a friend, you can email me if you want his name. He says that I am paying what a "normal" person is paying for an AM Best A rated company. Not sure if it's true or not but it's definitely doable. Disclaimer, don't work with the agent or the company or get any consideration

Comment

I am not sure from your post - are you thinking of not answering the questionnaire truthfully regarding your MS status because of the potential cost implications on coverage?

If the insurance company later finds out I would expect they will deny coverage (do not underestimate how far an insurance company will investigate medical history). You will be out the premiums and coverage.

I am lucky to have good coverage through a large employer. If you do not have access to coverage through your employer I agree with dyin_myelin; shop around and potentially work with someone. My prior experience has been there are so many differences in coverage and cost it is great to have someone do all the work for you.

Comment

My MS

I am not questioning whether or not to indicate I have MS. Several other diseases, e.g. cancer, were listed on the application as well.
          Since several diseases were mentioned I was wondering if you were able to get life insurance at all.
          I am not employed - haven't been for over 25 years so I would have to purchase a policy on my own.
          As far as insurance companies go, all of them will do all they can to deny a claim.

Comment

I have 2 life insurance policies (one is an individual, one is a survivorship), both policies were done after diagnosis.

I went through a financial planner who did all the work in finding an insurance company that would insure me. She found Two(2).

During the "looking" process my name was not used only basic information as well as medical, My MS was disclosed.

To get an insurance policy on your own a physical with blood work is required as well as a medical questionnaire. I did not need to go through this process as the insurance company asked for medical records and a letter from my Neurologist which I agreed to.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Yes, unfortunately it is. When I stopped working due to my MS, I kept my life insurance because I knew I'd probably not have a chance to get it elsewhere.
              Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
              Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
              dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

Working...
              X