Smells are making me SICK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smells are making me SICK!

PLEASE...can someone tell me if their olfactory(smelling) senses are messed up? I feel like I'm going crazy! No one else can smell it! It is different sometimes this time all I smell is exhaust fumes like from a car tailpipe! It is literately
    making me sick and my nose burns! After a while I even feel like I am running a fever.

Before it was a real musty, moldy,dusty smell and it made me the same way. Then after a while with no weird smells I began to smell what I thought was a very nasty trash smell, like with old food in it.

I have not really talked to the Drs abt it because if I say anything abt it they just go "Hmmm"! And my Neuro would want more tests!!! After that horrible spinal tap I never want another test!!

I am burning incense and candles...I put my nose in anything that smells good trying to make it go away!!
    Sissy

Hi Sissy,
    I have the same problem. Nothing smells like it should. Some odors such as perfume and cologne send me over the edge and make me nauseas. It is definitely not just you. I have the same problem with sounds such as loud music.

I live in Fort Worth too. Hopefully, the problem is not the city!

Comment

Well I live in the country and the air is great! Outside of Springtown, towards Agnes. I am wondering if it could be the plastic buckets/tubs that you pack in? They never bothered me before but like you said, I seem to be more sensitive to things around me.

Sitting here right now my eyes feel kind of puffy and warm! Maybe I having an allergic reaction all of a sudden? I have them all over my craft/sewing/TV/computer room. LOL..OMG!! I have everything stored in things!What am I going to do if that is the case?

Nothing has changed in months. It has to be the MS that is making me more sensitive I don't know what to do? Will this to pass?? This monster just keeps evolving!!
      Sissy

Comment

I've developed some allergies and sensitivities since being diagnosed. I know some of the problems are from my DMDs. I switched this summer and developed an sudden milk allergy.

Is there any way you can move all the containers to a closet? Or, maybe try an air purifier? I'm just throwing out ideas. Hope things get better soon!

PS-I hate the heat but it is suddenly very cold and windy outside.

Comment

I told my husband about what you said (my closet is full of containers with fabric ) so he has been helping move the others to the garage. You know the funny thing! It seems to only be the clear ones!? The colored ones don't seem to be bothering me...

I started buying the clear ones for my other crafts, so I could see what is in them easier. All my fabric in the closet are stored in green (on sell). Its a sm. walk in and I have been in their a lot looking through fabric. It never bothers me...hmmm! But my jewelry items are in clear and sitting in my living room because I have been making wine rings for a wedding party.

I have a fan that blows right across them to keep me cool. I moved them out two days ago and it is already helping.You should be a detective!! Thanks for the ideas
          I hate heat!! I have been standing outside a lot enjoying the fresh air. My 76yr old hubby and my 5lb Chihuahua hate the cold! they use heating pads and I use a fan!!
          Sissy

Comment

Originally posted by Sissy View Post
            PLEASE...can someone tell me if their olfactory(smelling) senses are messed up? I feel like I'm going crazy! No one else can smell it! It is different sometimes this time all I smell is exhaust fumes like from a car tailpipe! It is literately
            making me sick and my nose burns! After a while I even feel like I am running a fever.

Before it was a real musty, moldy,dusty smell and it made me the same way. Then after a while with no weird smells I began to smell what I thought was a very nasty trash smell, like with old food in it.

Hi Sissy,

Sorry to hear "smells" have been bothering you. MS can affect your sense of smell.

"Smell and Taste Disorders (Chemosensory Disorders)
            What are smell and taste disorders?

The loss of the senses of smell (anosmia) and taste (ageusia) are the most common chemosensory disorders.

The reduced ability to smell (hyposmia) or to taste sweet, sour, bitter, or salty substances (hypogeusia) are also common.

In other disorders of the chemosenses, odors, tastes, or flavors may be misread or distorted, causing a person to detect an unpleasant odor or taste from something that is normally pleasant to taste or smell. These disorders are important because they can have a significant impact on quality of life and be a sign of underlying disease.

Abnormalities in taste and smell can accompany or indicate the existence of diseases or conditions, such as:

Degenerative diseases of the nervous system

Parkinson's disease

Alzheimer's disease

Multiple sclerosis". http://m.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthl...ers_85,P00466/

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103415

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ht=smell+smoke

http://www.everydayhealth.com/column...ple-sclerosis/

Hope this helps and best of luck moving the colored containers into the garage!
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I was just diagnosed and I keep insisting the house smells like cat urine. We have 4 cats but we have one of the "flushable" Litter Genies that automatically does a wash with disinfectant, rinse then blow dries the litter. There is a regular litter box up stairs but Hubby cleans it daily.

At first I was burning incense but Hubby couldn't stand it so now I burn scented candles.

Right away I understood it was part of the disease, I'll work around it

Comment

Should I reply to my own thread? I'm still going nuts with weird smells! I have been ill with shingles the past 2 wks and have been using Lidoderm patches. But I am overwhelmed with the smell from them!! Its making me sick to my stomach! I only used them as ordered. But I had to quit them all together abt. 24hrs ago but I can still smell them!

I resorted to putting Vanilla and Mint on my cloths to cover the other smells.

BUT my real questions is.......Is this am MS symptom also?
                Sissy

Comment

Hi Sissy,

You can start your own thread any time you want to. But, since this is the same topic, also makes sense to post again under the same thread.

Yes, smell disorders are a MS symptom. They are called "Phantom Smells."

Here are some additional links for you:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...Strange-Smells
                  http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...3-Weird-smells
                  http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...rijuana-Smells
                  http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...?115377-Senses

Hope this helps, in addition to my previous post.

Take care
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Yes Kimba thank you very much it helps a lot!! I just wish I could smell something like "baby powder, backed potatoes, toast or flowers But mine are almost always chemicals or brake fluid, gasoline,car exhaust etc. I'm beginning to think it is my step father who was a mechanic. He passed away in '85 ! I usually have to find another scent to get rid of the smells because after a while I am gagging!

Funny if I feel its MS related I can handle it better. Not just Nutty!!
                    Sissy

Comment

Kimba how do you find all of these "threads or sites?" Right now my PC is so bad and messed up I can't look up anything! Every time I try to click on one it gives me an error message. Just like my brain does these days. I can't afford to get it fixed or replace it.

But I digress, I find that my problems with the BAD odors are getting worse. I start feeling nausea and HA then an over whelming desire to go to sleep to make it go away. I put a cold wet wash cloth over my face to smell the cool wetness. Ahhh that feels good! I have invested in a lot of scented candles also.

I don't smell "it" all the time. I can go days or weeks without it. I even told my husband that I was afraid the smell was making my little dog sick too!! Yep! Ready for the loony bin!
                      Sissy

Comment

Hi Sissy,

Sorry to hear the bad smells have gotten worse and about your computer. Glad the cool washcloth helps. (Your little dog is too cute.)

Not sure if you've tried these or if they'll work for you, but you can search for information two different ways at MSWorld, You can either type a key word in the "search" box at the very top, upper right of this page, or go to the lower right at the bottom of the screen, where you'll find the "quick navigation" box. Click on that and a drop down menu will appear, then click on "search forums.". A new screen will appear, where you can type in a key word and applicable threads/ posts will appear. Sometimes it works better than others. Same thing with Google.

Remembered this thread not too long ago when, for the first time, I smelled smoke (no one else did). Then get that familiar look like "What's up with you?" Only lasted a minute or two, but so weird.

Best wishes,
                        Kimba

Comment

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, KIMBA! ! That has been veryy helpful!
                          Sissy

Comment

Working...
                          X