Pulled over yesterday - driving scare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled over yesterday - driving scare

So yesterday was my Tysabri infusion. I usually drive myself and am OK. I have been really tired of late, still trying to bounce back from being sick.

After the infusion, we left. My 89 year old father came with me this time. He wanted to keep me company, since he said I always keep him company when he is at hospital. Reaaly sweet and probably why no ticket.

I had to go thru one school zone and commented to Dad about slowing down since school letting out. A few minutes later, a second school zone. I saw the lights flashing, but it didn't register. I even saw the police car. Not only did I not slow down, I was 8mph over normal limit.

The officer was young. He told me the violation is an automatic suspension of liscense. He saw Dad, who happened to have WWII service hat on. I guess he didn't want Dad to loose his rides, as he said he would run information and if no prior stops, would just issue verbal warning.

I know I was zoned out and really scared myself. Thankfully no children were around by the school. I guess from this point, when feeling this wiped out, I shouldn't drive far. Hospital is 45 minutes away. I am back to wondering if I should keep driving at all.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

I gave up driving a few years ago. On occasion, I still drive, but not for any length of time, and not far.

I gave it up due to eyesight issues, leg weakness and spasms, just plain old fatigue issues (i.e. I can get dropped off at the door of a doctor's office and don't have to walk across a steaming parking lot...even with handicapped parking, in Florida, we still face the heat of the asphalt on the trek from the parking place to the door.)

And the other fatigue issue I'd face was the kind where you seem to be "floating along" just fine and then it's like somebody deflated you and you question if you even have the energy to keep your hands on the steering wheel. For me that was a scary feeling, especially if it happened while driving on the interstate or a busy road.

Everybody has to decide for themselves whether they're fit enough to drive, and if they are, what,if any, parameters they need to set for themselves.

Comment

I zoned out once, too, when I could've received a citation. Not MS related, I don't think. Just wasn't paying attention.

I was coming home from somewhere, and there was a school bus, with flashing lights, stopped across the street, waiting for a child to board. I just didn't notice it.

Was pulled over, and just given a verbal warning. Would've been a $350 ticket, if I'd been issued one.

Glad you didn't get a ticket. Not sure why this police officer let me off. I'm not young and cute, I didn't have a vet with me, no Bible on the dashboard, didn't cry or plead for mercy, whatever. Just a nice guy that day, I guess.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Driving, ugh

I have the same issue, I think. I should know by now that I can't do many things successfully anymore by going on auto-pilot. The problem with driving is that it's so monotonous(?), you kinda can't help but zone out a little. I still drive, but not nearly as much as before. Also, I try not to drive with other people in my car. For one thing passengers are distracting so it's easier to go on auto-pilot. The last time I did that, I ran a red light with my wife in the car. Also I don't really want to be responsible for anyone else's safety.

One time, the doc suspended my driving privileges!!! My wife, god bless her, told him about this time my leg slipped off the brake pedal. I didn't even know it until I tapped the bumper of the car in front of me. Sometimes I can't tell where my feet are unless I am looking at them.

Anyways, just try to take it day by day. That's what I do. If you don't someone else may make the decision for you, like the doc did me.
        You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

My wife, god bless her, told him about this time my leg slipped off the brake pedal. I didn't even know it until I tapped the bumper of the car in front of me. Sometimes I can't tell where my feet are unless I am looking at them.
          alishape, do you think that maybe you should be looking for hand controls? I'm looking for some right now because my right leg is weak and I'm getting worried about my ability to get my foot on the brake fast enough. I found ones that they sell separately (one for gas, one for brake) so you could just get one for the brake. And apparently, you can install and uninstall them very quickly so it wouldn't be a big deal to take it out if your wife wants to drive the car, or if you want to drive a different car. Just a suggestion...
          PPMS
          Dx 07/13

Comment

Working...
          X