Is it a bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it a bad idea?

I'm supposed to be leaving for a 600 mile trip tomorrow morning, driving it by myself. I'll only be staying two nights and then heading back home. Problem is, I'm definitely having a flare. I noticed on Saturday some slight leg weakness but thought it was just from stress. It hasn't gone away and now my legs are giving out on me too frequently and my left leg has just gone numb.

It is my left leg so not my driving leg, but my family thinks I shouldn't go. But will being gone such a short time really make that much difference? Ugh, I hate this stupid disease! It's like every time something is going on, that's when it must show its ugly face again!
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

I think it is ultimately up to you, but as a mom I would say NO, don't go. Especially since your leg is weak. However, it is 10 at night EST, I am not sure where you live, but you may already be in bed.

I think its a bad idea. If you can skip it, do so until you are feeling better. I know, this disease sucks.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Extraordinarily bad idea.

If you are indeed in a flare...you have no idea what is coming next. I don't even drive when I am in a flare...because I don't feel "on top of my game" and I don't want to hurt anyone.

Your family is right...however, it is your decision.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'd say "It depends." That's often the answer to some difficult questions.

Do you have to drive the whole 600 miles in one day? That is very hard even for someone who does not have MS and is not in a flare.

Do you have a comfortable car with automatic transmission, automatic speed control and satellite radio, or is it a compact with manual transmission and poor sound system/radio?

Are you safe to drive despite a sore/weak leg bothering you a little, or might it be bad enough to cause an accident?

Is it a long straight shot on a rural interstate highway, or will you have a lot of city traffic to deal with?

Could you share the drive with someone else - another meeting attendee, or a friend/relative who would enjoy a visit to that location? Then it wouldn't all be on you.

Could you fly instead of driving? I travel a lot and my cut-off for flying instead of driving is usually around 500 - 600 miles.

Do you have a Plan B? That is, can you get medical care easily at your destination if you need it, and do you have someone who could come fetch you there, drive you and your car home if it turned out you were unable to do so?

How important is this trip, and is it something that could be done next month or next year instead of tomorrow? Or is it something so important that it is worth having more pain or otherwise "paying for" pushing the envelope a bit?

All things to consider, and only you can answer the questions.

Comment

In my head, I know it's not a good idea, especially since I've seen how bad things can get, but I'm going to a baby shower on Saturday for a cousin that I told I'd be there months ago. I would feel absolutely terrible if I ended up canceling on her at the last minute. I did tell her what's up though and I figure I'll see how I feel tomorrow. If it continues to deteriorate, I'll for sure stay home, but I really hope I'll be able to go.

I do have an automatic transmission and the drive is pretty much a straight shot. I figure I'll use the cruise control when I can, but it's my left leg that's feeling weak, and so far, I'm not noticing problems with my right leg which I'll use to drive. I do plan to call the dr's office on one of my many restroom breaks, and if for some odd reason he called me back and said not to do it, I'd go back home. Last time I had a question, he called me back almost immediately, so I'll just plan to call around when they open.

I tried to get my mom to go with me, but she has to work on Saturday and couldn't get the day off. I looked at flights, but they're so expensive, even before prices went up, I calculated that driving would save $100 easily. Ugh, this is the problem with living so far away from most family members. I wouldn't even consider going, but this cousin is one of the only people I'm actually close to.
          Diagnosed 1/4/13

Comment

Hi lstrl,

I'm sorry. This is a lousy time to have a flare.

If it were me, NO. Here's a few other questions you need to consider before you attempt such a trip:

That's a long drive, even if you weren't in the midst of a flare. That's a car trip my family has taken many times throughout my life. It's a tiring drive, even if you are an otherwise healthy person. If you found yourself unable to go on, what then? If there's not another driver to take over, what would you do?

Sitting that long is hard for anyone. Even with a few "stretch" breaks, it still gets uncomfortable for an otherwise healthy person.

What about potty breaks. Are you sure you will be able to make it to the bathroom?

What if you were to have car trouble? What if you end up waiting for hours somewhere to get it fixed?

Then there's always possible delays from traffic, construction, an accident, or the weather. We've spent extra hours on the road for all of those reasons.

As much as I know you could use a few days away right now, this just isn't the time I'd recommend you drive more than a few miles from home.

I hope you reconsider your trip and can reschedule it for a time when you are feeling better. Maybe you could go and see your cousin and the baby after it's born? I just wouldn't consider it a safe thing to do right now.

You might also want to think how bad your cousin would feel if you pushed yourself beyond what you were capable of and wound up in even worse shape than you are right now ...
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

"See how it is in the morning" sounds like a good idea to me.

You've considered the possibilities, have a strong reason to go, some back up plans in place, and your cousin would understand if you absolutely couldn't make it.

My "permanent home" is now in the Blue Ridge Mountains, though at the moment I am working in Arizona, which is 1,920 miles away - almost all of it on Interstate 40, and a big chunk of that is through Oklahoma. I have some idea of what you are feeling.

Sleep on it and see how you feel in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by lstrl View Post
                In my head, I know it's not a good idea, ... I would feel absolutely terrible if I ended up canceling on her at the last minute...
                Every time I have gone against my gut, it has not been good! I have been there, and understand wanting to go, wanting everything to work out and be "normal" and not disappoint people. But they will have to understand — you are not doing well and you need to take care of yourself.

I have done plenty of 500 mile road trips by myself when my MS wasn't as bad, but I wouldn't do it now considering that I wouldn't be very ambulatory if something happened and I was stuck on the side of the road. I think itsonlyairfare has a good checklist to consider

Comment

Hmmm...this is a tough one. I live far from family just like you. My DH and I have made the trip to Michigan, from both Florida and NC. We used to do it fast, but now days it's broken up. We try not to drive more than 6 to 8 hours a day and we usually stay at a nice hotel. I have driven alone from Michigan to Florida, but for me those days are done. I am a passenger on our trips now. I can drive a couple hours, but I find my eyes get so tired, which adds to my usual fatigue. My neck muscles also get tired easily.

Then there is the weather issue since it's possible to have bad weather. Are you up to that?

Whatever you choose to do I know it's a tough decision and I hope it works out for you.

I'm always telling my DH how much I wish we had high speed trains like the do in Europe and other countries. That would make travel so much nicer.

Diane
                  You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I do understand you disappointment. Any time I have done something for emotional reasons knowing that physically it was not a good idea, I have paid the price. It always escalates how long it takes to recover.

Is it possible that someone could take a laptop and skyp you in? I know it is not the same as being there, but you could at least share her big day. If you are feeling better, maybe you could sneak a visit between now and when the baby is born.

Your cousin would not want you to take chances with your health and safety. If you feel better, definitely go. But if you know in your head it is a bad idea, I would wait and go later.

Hope you feel better.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

My general rule of thumb is, if I have to ask others if I should go.... I shouldn't go!

I don't drive, took the Grayhound bus to visit a friend approx 3 hours away to attend her daughter's graduation. Did ok on the way there but the way back was a living nightmare. Turned crabby and had a huge "domestic" with my daughter on the last leg of the trip (GO train platform from bus station to home, at rush hour, huge Toronto station).

It was also one of those couple days, quick trips. In hindsight I would have fared better if I stayed a couple of days longer, too much travel squished into a short time period. Can you stay a bit longer if you make the trip? That would at least give you a wee rest in between long drives.

PLEASE take travelling back into consideration, especially if you're driving!
                      Jen
                      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

A baby shower?

You can attend via Skype or Face Time and send her a present. I know keeping up our friendships are important but what if the drive means you would lose your drivers license and never drive again?

Whenever I get in the car I ask myself that.

Comment

If you decided to drive I hope you are well. I have done a 300 mile drive a few times by myself to visit my daughter at college. It's the ride back that gets me every time. That's even when there's no flare involved. I wind up needing a few days to recover once I'm home. I agree that staying a little longer might help you recover from the first leg of your trip.
                          Give yourself rest periods.

I hope you feel better soon.

Comment

Lots of rest breaks and maybe bring a friend along. Hope you are safe and have a great trip if you do go!

Comment

I ended up going because I just couldn't talk myself out of it. It was a good time, but I wish I would have stayed longer. Everything that I left behind has very quickly popped back up and the stress I got rid of for a couple days has come back with a vengeance (more family drama, it never ends).

I did call the clinic while I was gone and he's having me come in on Tuesday, so me being gone didn't affect medical care at all. Nothing seems to have gotten worse either, although there were a couple times I tripped and just barely caught myself at the last second, luckily preventing a fall. Normally it's not quite so dramatic, so I think my balance might be a little more off right now.

I'm so tired tonight after such a long drive, I get the feeling it'll take me all week to recover. I had that problem on my last road trip that was half the distance with no issues that had just popped up. For some reason, I am only now remembering this, even though I went on that trip just a few months ago.
                              Diagnosed 1/4/13

Comment

Working...
                              X