Depression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression?

So, anyone else ever get random bouts of depression? I know it's a possible problem people with MS can have, but it always takes me by surprise when I feel really down. It usually lasts week or so then disappears.

It happened to me out of the blue one day. I actually became suicidal. They put me on an anti-depressant and I feel much better now. My neurologist told me that MS changes or can change your brain chemistry and that can cause depression or even bipolar disorder. So, I hope you will talk with your neurologist and get some help. Actually a psychiatrist is a better place to go for help, but you might want a referral from your primary care doc to get a good one.

Best of luck.

I am going to move this thread over to the mental health section under symptoms where it will probably get more attention and that is where it actually belongs.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Well, I tried to move it, but was unsuccessful. I will get someone else to give it a try.

Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Yes I have experienced depression over the past year and have had some very low moments. A recent MRI shows a lot of progression with a heavy load in the frontal area. My neurologist believes that this, along with the overall suckiness of MS, is a contributing. He advised strongly to start on anti depressants.

Depression is treatable. I hope you find something that works for you. Being depressed is a horrible feeling .

Pam
        RRMS diagnosed 2005
        Rebif 2005-2008
        Copaxone 2009-2014
        SPMS 2014

Comment

Thanks Pam and Lisa. I see my neuro next week, so I will talk to him about this. I'm usually quite positive (hence the name) but this feeling is out of character for me. It's comforting to know others have been there.

Comment

Hi PositiveMS
            I see that you live in Halifax, I am in Fredericton.
            Good luck with your neuro appt. I hope you feel better soon.
            Pam
            RRMS diagnosed 2005
            Rebif 2005-2008
            Copaxone 2009-2014
            SPMS 2014

Comment

Working...
            X