Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Small Victory...

Hi Everyone,

I am relatively new to the site. Actually I was just officially diagnosed a few months ago. I had been in pretty bad shape prior to my diagnosis. My major symptoms have been spasticity and weakness in right leg and foot. I have had a huge amount of atrophy in my hamstring due to the weakness. Anyway...I finally got a good neuro who put me on my first round of steroids and today I discovered after over a year of not being able to do any hamstring lifts with a light weight (2lbs). Today I tried it and finally could do it. In fact I did 4 sets of 10....I seriously cried as I didn't think I would ever get any strength back in this leg.

I start physio and PT next week so just hope I can continue to regain some strength.

I know that it is probably silly for me to want to share this but I just feel like I haven't had much of anything positive to focus on for so long and this little accomplishment really made my day

Beth

Hi Beth- No, it is not silly to post such a positive thing you have experienced! Especially since things haven't been the best for you in awhile. Congratulations!

Please however, don't try to over do it. Your muscles haven't worked this well for a time. Just remember...baby steps I hope your physio and PT sessions will help you regain much of what you have lost.

I had ankle surgery a month and have been unable to bear weight on the foot, so I've been getting around in a wheelchair. My already weak legs are weaker, but just the other day I got the OK to start using my rollator walker..slowly! Will start PT next week.

Well, that's my small victory. So, let's celebrate together
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks Seasha!

Let's wish us both luck and continued strength! And yes, slowly...that is on thing I have learned the hard way with this disease. Too much too soon and you pay dearly for it.

I tell ya...you don't realize how much you miss simple things like being able to use your legs correctly until you simply cannot

Let's keep each other updated on our progress

Comment

Sounds good Beth - we can be each others cheerleaders
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Beth,

It is always great to share our victories. Your happiness jumped off the page and brought a smile to my face. And yes, we do have to take small steps or we pay the price.

I wish both you and Seasha great success with PT.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Beth, that's a HUGE accomplishment not some dinky little thing. Congrats on this, please keep sharing with us. Woot woot!
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thank you for the kind words!

I am so glad to have found this board and all of you wonderful people I will keep plugging away over here

Beth

Comment

Working...
              X