Requesting accommodations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requesting accommodations

I need to request accommodations (reduced workload) from my new employer. My new job is very demanding both mentally and physically. Between neuropathy, spasticity and severe bunions as the icing on the cake this being on my feet walking 8 hrs, sometimes 12 hrs/day is killing me.
    I am planning on seeing my pcp to get a note from her requesting the accommodations which I will then give to my boss and/or HR and/or Occupational Health.
    Any advice on doing this? I certainly didn't think I would need to request accommodations this soon, but feel that for the sake of my health I have no choice.
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

The NMSS website used to have tips for disclosing and even sampke letters. You don't have to disclose MS, just that a medical condition requires accommodation. I know the accommodation should be specific. If you need breaks during the day, you can ask for this as well. They also have some experts you can reach out to review possible accommodations that could help.

Good luck.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you!

The NMSS website still has employment tips, including a sample of an accommodation request letter.
      When I was going through all of the "new hire" paperwork one was a "do you have" form listing various medical conditions. MS was on the list so I was forced to disclose at the corporate level to the Occupational Health Nurse. My manager, immediate supervisor and co-workers don't know, to my knowledge.
      According to the website I don't need a doctor's note, I can just ask for the accommodations on my own. I'm more comfortable making this request through my PCP.
      DX 10/2008
      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I agree with you on support of doctor with note. I did have my neurologist write one when I asked to work from home a few days each week. When are you asking? Gods luck with your request. I hope it is met with an open mind.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

To disclose or not...

My employer has very strong protections for people with disabilities, so when my diagnosis was confirmed, my supervisor was one of the first people I told. She went to the website of one of the M.S. Societies, downloaded a booklet on MS and from what she learned from it, has actually suggested changes to my working environment before I thought about them.

Observant people already know something is "wrong" with you. You have to decide whether the culture of your office is such that you are likely to suffer discrimination and retaliation if you tell, or if they will rally around you as part of the team once they know you trust them enough to tell them what it is.

Comment

Not all get it

I was recommended for working from home full time. Sadly, my supervisor doesn't "get it". She argued that I still had to commute to attend her teleconferences. I pointed out that the doctor doesn't know or care about corporate policy and the recommendation (agreed to by the disability service center) didn't list any exceptions. I pointed out that the policy she was quoting also said, "Unless valid reason such as illness". She stated that the recommendation didn't say this was an illness. It also didn't specify no driving. I ended up having to go to HR and (remembering HR works for leadership, not the employee) as whose guidance I was to follow, the doctor's and disability service center, or my supervisor. I stated my interpretation. They never replied to my query, but I'm pretty sure they talked to my supervisor and made it clear she couldn't set any sort of exceptions. Fortunately, I was finally approved for the accommodation. My supervisor is still trying to set her own conditions and rules, but I'm letting her hang herself.

The bottom line is I believe most companies put forth an effort to accommodate employees in our situation, but there are still plenty of idiots who lack compassion, understanding, and consideration of others. I tell people that 5 minutes on Google turns everyone into a doctor, lawyer, and pervert.

Comment

Working...
            X