Migraines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migraines

For some reason just out of the blue I have started having migraines. I take Topomax to help prevent them and for some time it worked but lately it has been failing in its job.

I have a rx for Fioricet but all they do is take the edge off and the migraine remains albeit less painful.

Does anyone else have migraines? I've seen that it can be a symptom of MS and I've seen that it isn't. Two schools of thought. If you have migraines what do you do for them beside lock yourself in a cold dark room? Mine aren't that bad but bad enough to stop you in your tracks at times.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

I used to have them (for about 25 years) and mine too were just debilitating. My last one was about 4 years ago, and my go-to med was called "Relpax". It was amazing!
    Seattle, WA
    Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
    Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

Comment

From foods & MS

I figured out in high school that food additives were giving me migranes. Hot dogs, coconut, apples - all had additives at the time. Now I can pick and choose to prevent head aches.

Now from MS I get optic migranes. Feels like someone is pinching the back of my eyeball. I tried Topamax nose spray. Worked like a dream. Only thing was it shut down the entire CNS. Wherever I was when I took the drug, that was where I stayed till it wore off. But no more headache!

Wish you luck finding the right med.

Comment

I've had migraines for many years, though I am not sure whether or not they are related to the MS. I haven't ever tried any of the prescription meds - usually I just take some ibuprofen, lay down in the darkest room I can find, and keep an ice pack on my head which helps it pass faster.

A coworker who also suffers from migraines recommended a drug called Imitrex, and he also said that eating some really spicy Thai food would help. But I haven't yet tried Imitrex, and when I have a migraine I'm generally nauseous and don't want to eat. So I can't say from experience whether these recommendations work.
        Sx since 2007; Dx Oct. 2014. Started Copaxone after Dx...praying that it's working!

Comment

I've had migraines for years, and the meds that work the best for me are the triptans. Currently I'm using Maxalt when I get a migraine. It's an orally disintegrating tablet that usually works within 20 mins or so, but sometimes up to an hour to get full relief.
          Of course, I still get the run-over-by-a-truck feeling for hours after a migraine, but at least most of the other migraine symptoms are relieved by the Maxalt.

Comment

Working...
          X