How many knew this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many knew this?

Sometime back I lost insurance coverage so I went to the local VA and applied for my benefits. I had never applied because I always had group coverage. Well low and behold after I applied I was told I didn't qualify because I made to much money. I asked them what do you mean? I was promised these benefits when I joined. Besides that I wasn't asked how much money I was making when I was drafted. The guy I was talking to agreed with. He told me he was a Vet too and doesn't think its right but that's the law.

So even though I was promised medical benefits I can't use them because they say I make too much money and don't qualify. Here I am without insurance again and nowhere to turn.
    Any suggestions?
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Who did you talk to? Did you have MS or MS symptoms no later than 7 years after discharge? If so, you should not only attempt to apply for medical benefits, but also disability benefit if you can prove a service-connection or within the 7 year discharge period. If you have a service connected injury then you should be entitled to some level of healthcarae benefits -and- a minimum of 30% disability compensation should you endure the process.

Please call your County Veteran's Office and ask to speak with a Veteran's Service Officer (VSO). They may ask you to come in, but that is part of the process. If that is where you went the first time -- then call one of the Veterans Service Organizations in your area (VFW, DAV, PVA, MOPH, Legion, etc) they also have VSOs on staff to help you apply for benefits. All of these people help you free of charge.

You can also submit the form yourself. It is online here: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pd...010EZ-fill.pdf. The entire process is outlined here: http://www.military.com/benefits/vet...t-process.html

There are income limits, but if you fall into a priority group the income requirement is generally waived. You can find out more information here:http://www.military.com/benefits/vet...igibility.html

I'm sorry for all the links, but dealing with the VA can be quite difficult. You may call 5 people and get 5 different answers.

Comment

Ditto..what Marco said.

Go back to the VA. I did not know you were a vet...I just posted on your other message. At a minimum they should treat your MS...service connected or not. You will get drugs.

This is huge WDS...go back to the VA and do not settle for "No".
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm going to add one more link from the VA:

http://www.va.gov/MS/veterans/benefits/index.asp

This is directly from the VAs MS Center of Excellence. In regards to all the recent activity that has been going on in your life and your loss of medical benefits...your application certainly needs to be resubmitted.
        Katie

Comment

I ran into the same problem a few years ago when I applied for health benefits with the VA. Was as surprised as you that there is now an income limit. Told the representative that I had ms but it didn't seem to make a difference to her.

Comment

WDS has submitted a new claim for SC issues. Let's hope it gets approved.

No...I never knew about the income limits for non-service connected. I would have sworn I read somewhere where all MSers regardless of SC or not were being treated by the VA if desired.

Thistle-If I was you...I would get another VSO and fight it.

Glad I know about this. I need to get skilled up on it some more.

The system isn't getting any better is it?
            Katie

Comment

Katie... That was also MY understanding. That the VA treats ALL MS cases period! You may got ONLY MS care but that can be a biggie

Gomer

Comment

Thanks KatieAgain. I think I will contact them again. I am on the Affordable Healthcare and would like to use the VA - especially for the ms care.

If you go to the VA site, it does say that they will treat a veteran with ms from the time of diagnosis - whether it is service or nonservice. But apparently the income limits still apply.

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
                  Katie... That was also MY understanding. That the VA treats ALL MS cases period! You may got ONLY MS care but that can be a biggie

Gomer
                  You are correct Gomer. MS Medical Benefits through the VA is huge! We are fortunate. Thanks for chiming in!
                  Katie

Comment

Originally posted by Thistle View Post
                    Thanks KatieAgain. I think I will contact them again. I am on the Affordable Healthcare and would like to use the VA - especially for the ms care.

If you go to the VA site, it does say that they will treat a veteran with ms from the time of diagnosis - whether it is service or nonservice. But apparently the income limits still apply.
                    My bet is if you are on an ACA Health Plan...you will most likely qualify. You might want to try calling the main MS Center of Excellence and get the facts from them before going back to your VA.

Good Luck...glad you are going to re-engage! And please let us know how it all works out.
                    Katie

Comment

WOW!! There's a lot of information in these replies. I have read some of these links and from what I have read there is still and income threshold. The Veterans income cannot exceed 10% of the VA income threshold. Since the threshold is somewhere in the area of $38k I far exceed that.

The one thing I DO NOT want to do is throw a monkey wrench in my disability application. My doctor classified me as 100% disabled due to a SC injury. My claim has made it all the way to the VA Headquarters in D.C.. So now I have to wait and see what happens there.

As for me, MS my Neurologist has been trying to get me to quit work for some time now. He told and I quote, "You have no business working You can barely walk and you are going to end up hurting yourself." The problem is I need the income. So just up and quitting work is not possible. I have been missing a lot of work due to my MS and I now work an abbreviated schedule.

I was diagnosed well past the 7 year mark after discharge. And it is not SC.

I am going to Google VA MS Center of Excellence for New Orleans and talk to them and see what they have to say. I will keep you posted.

Great thread for all Veterans!!
                      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
                        My doctor classified me as 100% disabled due to a SC injury.
                        Disability compensation and medical benefits are not really connected as they are two completely different benefits.

If you have a SC disability the VA should provide you medical coverage independent of an income limit. The other avenue to consider is the Individual Unemployability(IU). http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensat...loyability.asp. Being declared IU is nearly identical to being 100% schedular disabled and would provide you medical benefits independent of income.

In your situation, I would go see VFW, PVA, DVA and other agencies in your area to meet with various VSOs. You need the best VSO you can find to help you jump through the byzantine hurdles and hoops of the VA. The process is completely inane, but necessary, if you are going to get the benefits you seek.

If you have never reviewed your entire C-file you should request it and go over it in great detail. While your MS was diagnosed many years after your discharge there may be signs or symptoms that can be linked to MS. A nexus statement from a qualified doctor could bridge the gap. Anything from "numb legs" misdiagnosed as shin splits when you were given a running profile to a heat injury suggesting "ms-induced heat intolerance" can be used as a nexus.

Often the difference between obtaining benefits and not obtaining benefits is having a VSO that has a clue and cares. Over years, I have met with a few dozen VSOs and I can assure you that half of them should be in a different line of work. Most are well-intentioned, but do not have the administrative or intellectual capacity to truly help veterans in dire circumstances.

Hang in there and please continue to ask questions and/or keep us updated on your progress. I wish you well.

Comment

Marco,
                          I have ordered my C-file a couple of months ago but have yet to receive them. I should probably know this but what does PVA stand for? Also, should I wait to seek out the IU route while my SC disability application is under review? There is a caveat to my SC disability application that is taking place in D.C. but I am not at liberty to talk about it. I would hate to do anything in haste and jeopardize the status of that application.

Babe Ruth

Comment

PVA = Paralyzed Veterans of America.

Did you get a letter from the VA acknowledging your request for the C-file? If so, you should be able to call them and get a status.

Checking the Status of Your Request:

Once you have allowed sufficient time for us to receive and process your request (about 10 days), you may check the status of your request by e-mail through our NPRC Customer Service Center at mpr.status@nara.gov. Please provide the request number if you have one, the name, address and phone number of the requester, and the veteran's branch of service to aid us to finding your request in our system. You will receive a return e-mail from us with a projected completion date for your request.

You may also telephone the NPRC Customer Service Line (this is a long-distance call for most customers): Telephone (Toll Free): 1-866-272-6272

You are correct about IU. Once you get declared SC, you need to see if you qualify for IU. Even if you do not meet the 60 or 70% thresholds you can still get it on a case-by-case basis.

Comment

I went to see my VSO at the local VA Office about applying for benefits due to MS. He looked at me like I had three heads. He said he had never heard such a thing. He referred me to the VA Clinic in Baton Rouge and told me to bring proof of my diagnosis. I somehow feel like I am fixing to enter the VA revolving door and get bounced from one place to the other.

But I will persevere. I will eventually get to the right person. It may take some time but I will WIN!!!

Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
                              X