Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when things start looking up KABOOM!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when things start looking up KABOOM!!!

So today my DW and I world came crashing down on us. The company she was working for lost the contract at the plant she works at and a new company is taking over. The good news is she still has her job and is making more money. They, her and the other employees, knew this was coming and were told that it would be a seamless transition. They were also told their benefits would be the same or better. Well that's not what happened. The benefits, if you want to call them that, don't pay for anything. In a nut shell they will not pay for my DMD. So after I run out of the supply of Tecfidera I have that's it. They will only pay $20 for my other meds and I have to upfront the cost and they will reimburse me. That's $20 per day so I can only I have one rx filled per day. They pay $100 per doctor visit up to $2000 for the year. Anything over $100 is on me. This far far less coverage than we had with BC/BS. My employer offers no benefits at all.

So now I am aggressively looking for work. In Louisiana there is a government agency that helps people with disabilities find work. I already have an appointment for next Wednesday. So my fingers are crossed and I am praying hard.
    Does anyone know if Tecfidera has a program to assist in obtaining your medication?
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

They do have a copay assistance program for those that have private insurance.

Here is a link to their website for that info:
    http://www.tecfidera.com/support/cost

Good luck!

Comment

HHi Way,

I'm so sorry to hear about that.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your appointment Wednesday and finding a new job. I'll say a prayer for you as well.

Do call regarding your medication. If nothing else, maybe they can point you in the right direction.

You can also read more information here: http://www.mymsaa.org/about-ms/sources/

Maybe this will be a useful resource for something as well: http://www.needymeds.org/index.htm

Let us know what happens with your appointment Wed. and what you find out for help with your medication. Good luck!
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Well, that sucks. I thought things had improved under your new health care system in the US - obviously not.
        Good luck.

Comment

That is admirable of you to start looking for a job. But, to take the pressure off, I recommend calling Biogen. Ask for their financial team and tell them your situation. They have many different options.

Putting that extra stress on yourself could put you at risk for a flare. If your MS progresses you've lost the game.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
            That is admirable of you to start looking for a job. But, to take the pressure off, I recommend calling Biogen. Ask for their financial team and tell them your situation. They have many different options.

Putting that extra stress on yourself could put you at risk for a flare. If your MS progresses you've lost the game.
            I am hitting the "Like" Button at this advice.

WDS-This has to be exceptionally overwhelming. Now you know "the rest of the story" concerning your wife's job. Believe it or not, this actually might put you in a position for free or very low copayment for meds.

So your first priority should be to call Biogen and get the drug stuff straightened out.

Second...you need to try and remain calm. No flare is worth it..

As far as finding another job...I think you stated once you are in your late 50s? If so have you considered applying for SSDI and Medicare? I think talking to your local SS Office might be worthwhile...time to look at the options.

Let us know how it works out for you in regards to the drug. Hopefully Biogen is playing nice.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I just found out you are a vet. That revises my whole answer.

Go back to the VA, get a VSO and get enrolled in VA healthcare.

A lot of us here can help you with that...let's get that ball rolling.
              Katie

Comment

Thank you all for the replies and the concern. I can tell you it has been awfully stressful. Yesterday both of my hands went numb and the pain kicked into overdrive. Not even the heavy duty pain killers I take was helping. I decided to just relax and take one step at a time and things will work out. Of course that does not relieve my DW stress level. Bless her heart she is stressed to the max.

I have considered SSDI and Medi-Care but I am still working and at this point I cannot quit. That will disqualify me from SSDI and Medi-Care from what I understand. Yes I am in my 50's, 59 to be exact. If anyone knows of any loopholes I am all ears.

As for the VA, I have filed for disability with the VA for a service connected disability. My doctor completed the medical form and classified me as 100% disabled. This does not have anything to do with my MS. If this gets approved then I will receive my VA benefits. Otherwise I don't qualify for my benefits because I make too much money. In 1993 Bush 41 signed a law stating a veteran has to basically be at the poverty line to qualify for their benefits they were promised when they entered the military. I told the VA rep helping me, they didn't ask me how much I was making when they drafted me. It's a sad thing that you serve your country when they needed you and when you need your country to help you they are not there. They back up on their promise!!

So I have a lot of irons in the fire and hopefully something will come through!!
                Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
                Babe Ruth

Comment

WDS

When I found out you were a vet...that changed everything. I am Retired Air Force. Since you have put in for disability let's keep our fingers and toes and eyes crossed that you rate out at least 30%. That will put you into the VA Medical System and they WILL take care of your MS as well. You will never again have to worry about medical care. 50% or better will get you some money.

I hope you were working with a VSO when you put in the paperwork and they know about your changing life circumstances. Unemployability is another option if your are for some reason forced out of work.

It's going to be a wait....hold on...a decision will come.
                  Katie

Comment

Biogen will help you pay for your tecfidera. Please give them a call. That help should tide you over until you get your VA benefits or find a better job.

Comment

another

Her is another link for other financial resources.

http://msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=121313
                      God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Affordable Health Care

Hi WDS,
                        First, don't stress! In my opinion, it causes the worst flares! There is help out there and sometimes, these type of events can lead to something better in the future. Remember one door closes and another opens.

Ok, for what it's worth, here's an idea that may help you get coverage....If the company has more than 50 employees they must offer affordable health care or they will be fined. You should contact the Affordable Health Care Marketplace. You can qualify for a private health coverage plan. They will inquire as to the reason you don't have employer sponsored insurance. Tell them your story and the employer will have to tell them why they are not offering the plans as outlined in the Affordable Health Care Act.

You will qualify for tax credits to help with the insurance premiums.

Best of luck! Stay positive!

Comment

My DMD is Free

I take Avonex. It went up to $125 a month. And, my psychiatrist put me on a new med, not covered under my insurance, that was going to be $75. I was overwhelmed.

Not sure what avenues my husband went down, but I get my Avonex and this anxiety medication for free.

Biogen does have an assistance program. Please look into it. It really works.

Good luck to the both of you. Sad that having one problem doesn't keep others from hitting us as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X