Copaxone and elevated liver enzyme levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone and elevated liver enzyme levels

I've been on Crestor for about 8 years and on Copaxone for just over 90 days. My last blood test showed a very elevated liver enzyme level. Copaxone is the only change since my last blood test. Is there any evidence that Copaxone causes an elevation in liver enzymes?

Probably. I never had any trouble on Copaxone. Beta kind of stuffed my white blood cells. Neutropenia etc, so no more of that.

Augbagio is pretty awful. I'd happily shoot up every day instead.

Strange how doctors think the big selling point with MS drugs is no injections.

Comment

Guess I'm spoiled-I went 36 years on nothing. Now I'm on Copaxone 40 and I wish they would come up with a 1x a week! I'm in awe of anyone who injects 7x a week. D o n't think I could do it.

Comment

elevated liver enzymes

I had a similar situation kim-mastro. Was on Copaxone in 2012 for 5 months. Was feeling a little sluggish but just figured it was work related.
        At my annual physical my PCP was surprised to see my liver enzymes climbing to the triple digits. When I told my neurologist she didn't think it had anything to do with copaxone but took me off of it just the same.
        As each week passed my liver enzymes returned to normal. I reported this to the FDA. Not sure what came of it.
        On tecfidera now. Glad you posted this. Worth reporting.

Comment

I had been on Crestor for high cholesterol so my liver function was up a bit (my pcp told me to lose weight) but now it's getting almost up to triple digits. Now I'm off Creator for a month and then blood test again.

Comment

Definitely. Copaxone, and other MS medications, have the potential to raise your liver enzymes. I would definitely talk to my neurologist about your concerns about the elevated liver enzymes.

The full prescribing information can be found here: https://www.copaxone.com/Resources/p...nformation.pdf. Under postmarketing experience

Digestive System: tongue edema; stomach ulcer; hemorrhage; liver function abnormality; liver damage; hepatitis; eructation; cirrhosis of the liver; cholelithiasis.

I wish you well.

Comment

elevated liver enzymes

Looks like liver problems are now listed under the heading of Post Market experience. I wonder if this is a recent listing. Don't believe I remember this in 2012 when I had the problem. Thanks for posting Marco.

Comment

Thanks, Marco! It would have been nice if my Neuro knew that before putting me on Copaxone! With a family history of high cholesterol I guess I'll need to find something else!!!

Comment

Working...
                X