Pseudo Flare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pseudo Flare

Saw neuro yesterday. Since my MRI was "stable", no new lesions or activation of the existing ones, my increased symptoms are all from stress at work and what they have done to me.

Lowering my hours of employment with loss of all benefits and trying to meet ends has caused so much stress. I have a suit against them and have spoken to my attorney. He advised me that my applying for disability and leaving this place will not have any effect on the case against them.

I will finish this week and not give them a heads up! Now the tough part....I need the "practice" manager to sign off so I can collect my retirement before applying for SSDI... As much as I hate having to even speak with her, I will more than likely call on Monday and tell her on phone that: 1. won't be in ever, ever again and 2. get my disbursement forms done! That is her job isn't it?! Well...I see no way out of this but this place is killing me slowly. Even my neuro said I was definitely not the same person he knew from the few mths ago.
    Fingers crossed!!

glad to hear you've hired an employment discrimination attorney.

Also file with EEOC if you have been singled out in terms of treatment with respect to reduced hours, benefits, etc.

I suggest contacting your attorney before making any rash decissions, and before any further contact with HR, particularly considering how angry your are, understandably so.

If you begin retirement benefits prior retirement age, there is a 'penality' similar to the penality for early retirement for SSDI benefits. Retirement and SSDI benefits are 'fully' paid upon reaching full retirment age which are based on the investmens earned, based on full retirement age.

At this point, you're probably more concerned about paying next months rent, utility bills, etc. Talk to all those you owe money to before things get ticey. Anyone who knows your employment history of 30yrs with the same employer will likely be willing to work with you until you beign collecting benefits you are entitled to. I know everyone I had debt with also knew my income and employment history, they were willing to work with me.

If nothing else, leave a polite, professional voice mail for HR that you are taking any leave/vacation available to you for the time being. Let them know any further contact should be in writting to you and your attorney.

Hang in there, I have confidence that you can do this! Even if you don't think you can, you are a MS warrior and you will survive this test of a lifetime!

Comment

Thanks MSW!! Trying to figure all of this nonsense out! Anyway, one plan is possibly speaking with one of the nicer partners in the company about laying me off. Believe it or not, I would get more on unemployment.

Being that I have an exascerbation from all of the stress at work, I am so afraid of me forgetting something or falling at work. I am a healthcare provider and it can get stressful. Hoping he will put a word in for me to lay me off or even fire me with the rest of the big wigs so I can collect unemployment. Then I can apply for my retirement disbursements after the "practice"manager signs off on it as terminated.

Thinking my issues are making me a liability alone.

Comment

FYI

moz205, you will need a disability determination by your MS to collect early pension and/or 401k retirement benefits.

Best wishes comming your way.

Comment

Thanks MSW, my neuro said that my pseudo flare is from this place and all the stress they have put me through. While waiting for disability, I need something to pay my bills until approved. This is now a hostile environment and don't have a HR dept - just a partners wife who handles all of this stuff whom I don't even speak with. (hence, hostile)

I did speak with a partner yesterday (he cannot make a decision alone and needs the rest of the partners). Waiting for this. When I spoke with him yesterday, I tipped him off about all of this and how I am now a liability and need out. Told him either they can fire/lay me off or I will just do what I need to do to survive for me and my son.

I am only 56 yo and have paid over 30 yrs into unemployment, never applying for it. This is such a nightmare and I have had the worst past 4 yrs after husband passed and left me with our son at 12 yo.

How would I go about getting early retirement? Need the money like yesterday. This seems to be the only way I can come up with at the moment.

Comment

You need your MS doc's support for a disability determination. Once you are determined to meet the disability requirements, based on your MS doc's dx of disability, you should meet the requirements of your Pension/401k plan for early retirement benefits.

Comment

I have my neuro on board so that's not an issue. As far as work, my attnys are working on a discrimination suit (employee's don't know yet)against them due to age and my MS. No body else was cut down and I had been told the reason was they didn't need me although the retired doctor's hours have already been taken.

I called my 401k to see what options were. They stated that I would need the head honcho to sign off on this for me to get it. I can then roll over whatever disbursements I will need in future to an another IRA with them.

I am also trying to find out if unemployment would be an option if i just can't continue going to work secondary to my flare (caused by them). This has been mentioned to me in the past.

Comment

I collected Unemployment Benefits after exhausting STD benefits. Collecting unemployment benefits while disabled is not the most ethical thing to do, because you must certify each benefits payment period that you are seeking employment, able to work and available to work in order to receive unemployment benefits.

When I was approved for SSDI I was expecting the state to either arrest me or at the very least to recover the unemployment benefits I collected during the SSDI waiting period. It seems due to the 'financial hardship', the state never attempted to recover unemployment benefits.

I disclosed unemployment benefits I received to my SSDI attorney. He explained a quirky gap in regulations that allowed for unemployment while disabled and waiting SSDI, based on financial hardship.

I think it is a judgment call made by each state, one that is viewed more harshly if there is another income earner in the home, or if you are earning income under the table.

I'm not recommending that you follow my example, but things worked out for me.

Comment

So glad things worked for you! I am the only one in the home working. My son is 16 and his dad is deceased so it's just up to me. Scary not knowing which way to turn. Not sure if I should quit my job (would get more on unemployment) or just start taking time off. I will need head honcho to get my retirement fund going so I can collect something. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought this would happen to us.

Obviously, this is a severe hardship for me as I am dragging myself to work and still not bringing enough to even cover my rent! It's so scary here in NYC to have to pay what I do in rent, pay for crappy health insurance, car payments etc. Thank God for MS Life Lines that have helped pay for my meds.

Comment

Ok, was informed this morning will be a meeting of the big heads with me today.

Will see how this goes...either I am out or I will continue to work until I leave myself. Have called attny and was told say nothing during meeting.

I actually think I was being kind in advising them of me being a liability.

Comment

Ok, nothing that wasn't expected. They are basically trying to get me out and giving me one mth salary- lmao. Will see what my attorney's say on Tuesday.

Was also given forms for short term disability to fill out. Now their excuse for changing my hours is no longer one boss retiring but they are doing away with my position and combining offices.

Can't wait til Tuesday

Comment

All went well with attny. They will continue our case against them for a number of things, including age discrimination. They have told me to put in for STD which they gave me last week but absolutely do not sign anything for them. That would have stopped our case instantly.

So now I have asked my neuro for a letter stating I can not unpack cartons nor work that one long day of 8 to 5. Just waiting for that to come over and will present it to them. Will see how my neuro letter goes. The ball will be in their court. Guess they will need to shift the same person into my job from being office manager. Keep spreading everyone thin around here.

Comment

Glad the agreed to STD. Good luck. Will be checking your updates. Hope the company has to pay for all the difficulty and stress they put you under.
                          Kathy
                          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you pennstater! Now this place has become a hostile environment even those that I have worked with for over 30 years.

Now they are saying that since I work 5 hrs a day, I am not entitled to lunch or a break (as per NYS Labor laws). So, I have put a request in to my neuro for a note saying I need to break and rest. They are making me feel like a 2nd class citizen and I hate it.

Now they are changing their reason for cutting my hours. Was first told because boss retired but now it's because they are closing my office and joining another office. There is a girl who does med teching there as well but she is nowhere near 30 years of service.

I really don't want to work here anymore so I am going to fill out the STD form for them. Of course, I am gonna get a friend to help me with this since it's so important and they are cutting hairs around here. Gonna call it a day around here, a very long day at that.

Comment

Ok, so I am back here at work and the hositility is getting larger. Ugh, documenting what was said etc. May be her word against mine but wth, will see in court what happens. I just hate having to write everything down. So unlike me. Feel like a snitch or something but I know that my attorneys will want to know exactly what is going on.

Cannot wait for this to be over. Just not sure how this will pan out but should be done by this coming week please God. Will keep everyone (lol well those who care on how this works out) informed on outcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X