Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know National Guard VA rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know National Guard VA rules?

I have 14.5 years in the Air National Guard 7 years of which I was a full time technician. I was diagnosed with MS 2 years ago. I have never been allowed to deploy. Because of my job description my commander deemed me to vital to the bases mission to lose for 6 months to a year. Is there anyone out there who knows if I qualify for VA disability benefits. I know MS has been deemed service connected with a 30% rating so I don't see why I shouldn't qualify. Symptoms are getting worse so I don't plan on staying after I reach my 20 years in service. With 5.5 years to go I figured now would be the time to start the process. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I don't know about Guard eligibilty but found this PDF that might help:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/...andReserve.pdf

IMO, you should track down a local VA service officer (check for VSO's at places like the local Legion hall, VFW, or ORGs like the PVA) and set up an app't to talk to them.
    Make sure they know up front what your situation is and that you're looking for info first. If a VA VSO can't help you out, they at least might know who you should be talking to.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I've been asking around and no one seems to know. A friend of mine who is going through the process now has told me the VA doctors will not see me if I haven't deployed. Does anyone know what my options are with the military. I've heard that I will be medically discharged and sent packing with nothing to show for my service, no retirement or benefits. If MS is deemed service connected how can they just cut ties with me and walk away?

Comment

I am a Retired AF Personnel Officer. I don't have an extraordinary amount of experience with Title 32 since I was AD but will take a shot at it. Please don't hold me accountable for this answer...it is just an educated guess. And since I too have MS...all my education is over-rated.

Like Bob said, you need to get to a VSO. And if you don't like what they tell you find another...and another.

The problem I believe you will have is a Traditional Guardsman works a couple days a month. Therefore MS is not necessarily considered Service-Connected (SC). This is particularly true if you did not deploy or were part of a military Neuro cluster. Depending on your medical documentation, they might fight you on this.

Active Duty, you are on duty 365 days a year, 24/7. You belong to the Government...and in turn the Government is responsible for everything that happens to you. They can not dispute the Service Connection.

Active Duty, Reserve and Guard are legally different entities and fall under different sets of laws.

You mentioned that you were a full-time guardsman for 7 years. I believe that would put you on the same playing field as the Active Duty if you have medical documentation stating you had MS or signs of MS during that time period or up to 7 years after.

Please get a really good VSO. A good one will fight for you and get you the benefits that you deserve. Because as a Veteran...no matter what, you are entitled to some kind of VA benefits...what that is going to end up being...I don't know. Barracks Lawyers, although they mean well are not good sources of information...take what they have to say with a grain of salt.

Good Luck.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X