Chemo Treatment for Multiple Sclerosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chemo Treatment for Multiple Sclerosis

Has anyone heard of the chemo therapy treatment for those living with multiple sclerosis.

I was looking into it, but don't know much about it. Does it work?

I was wondering that too. I would imagine what stage of MS your in.

My best...
    Susie Q.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
    RRMS
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

I have heard of it but like you don't know much about it. I know there's a drug called Rituxan that is used for people with lymphoma and some severe forms of arthritis I believe. But other than that that's all I know.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
      Babe Ruth

Comment

From what I know about Lemtrada, it is a form of chemo.

Comment

I did chemo- a lot!

Hi! I have done a drug called Cytoxan quite a bit and it helped me. One year after diagnoses I was rapidly declining and did induction ( five doses in seven days with IVSM) then monthly. Three years later I started going down hill again so I did another induction. I did lose my hair after each induction but it grew back during monthly treatment. I had a total of 43 infusions. The last being this past June- two weeks after treatment I had optic neuritis. So it stopped helping me. If you google Partners MS Center at Brigham & Womans in Boston- their web site has great info- look under both the patient and physician tab. Jen

Comment

Cyclophosphamide

Hi. I am to start this chemo in a month. My neurologist and I agreed that since I am progressing so rapidly that I have nothing to lose but hair - LOL. I will do the chemo for up to 6 months.

I will check in now and again to let everyone know my results. Good luck to all.

Comment

im on rituxan and some people do well on it but im not feeling any better on it....but i say go for it and see how you respond!

Comment

well...I have R&R MS and have heard of chemo for MS. I don't think I'm progressing, though my cognitive impairment is now severe. I thought of doing the chemo, but I guess I should talk to my neuro first about it. I'm just not sure about it.

betterme keep us posted on your transition with the chemo. I'm really thinking about it, but not sure if my stage of MS is for chemo...though I've been diag for over 10 years and I'm just getting worse...cognitively and physically...but not as bad as others I know.

Comment

Novantrone

I was on Novantrone, a chemotherapy taken for MS after being on Copaxone for 3+ years, then Rebif for about two.

think it delayed progression - I'm either SPMS or PPMS.

Before I hit the limit, my neuro switched me to Tysabri.

The biggest issue with Novantrone for me was nausea that a very expensive (paid for by insurance) pill kept under control - I never had to pray to the porcelain goddess.

The secondary issue avoiding large groups for 4 weeks after every infusion, my urine turning blue for a day or two was a novelty.

A coworker who started with severe vision problems did well on Cytoxan [sp?]

G
                  approaching 15 years of MS and mobile enough.

Comment

Originally posted by GardeningMSer View Post
                    I was on Novantrone, a chemotherapy taken for MS after being on Copaxone for 3+ years, then Rebif for about two.

think it delayed progression - I'm either SPMS or PPMS.

Before I hit the limit, my neuro switched me to Tysabri.

The biggest issue with Novantrone for me was nausea that a very expensive (paid for by insurance) pill kept under control - I never had to pray to the porcelain goddess.

The secondary issue avoiding large groups for 4 weeks after every infusion, my urine turning blue for a day or two was a novelty.

A coworker who started with severe vision problems did well on Cytoxan [sp?]

G
                    approaching 15 years of MS and mobile enough.
                    HI there~ I remember you and recently wondered if you had posted here. So, I am glad you posted today!

Know that I wish you well and hope you are enjoying all those things you do so well.

Sending you hope and healing~

Hugs, Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!
                    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

My neuro had me do 2 rounds of Novantrone,as it did nothing for my MS he had me stop.
                      I was glad as after so many treatments,it can give you sever heart problums. keep us posted.

Comment

Jan - thanks

Jan,

Life is good. A good woman and living near San Francisco has done wonders.

Thanks!

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                        HI there~ I remember you and recently wondered if you had posted here. So, I am glad you posted today!

Know that I wish you well and hope you are enjoying all those things you do so well.

Sending you hope and healing~

Hugs, Jan

Comment

I've been on Rituxan for about two years, because I was unable to tolerate every other drug tried, including Tysabri. Some people are just unlucky that way! I felt pretty good on it until a recent MRI showed that I had a new lesion, so I'm being put on Gilenya. Round and round it goes.

Comment

A much safer way to suppress the immune system is with MMJ, that is part of why it is so effective with MS. Did I mention it has 6 different anti-inflammatories in it too? Also an antioxidant?

Comment

While not chemo exactly I know that Methotrexate has been studied and shown to have some positive affect in small doses.

Comment

Working...
                              X