Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another tv show with MS

Hi all,
    Thought you might like to know, that a new program on CBS called Scorpion, has a main character who's sister has MS.

She's represented as being in "a home". It's a quite interesting show, if you're in the least an above average IQ.

Or just a nerd, like myself. :-)
    Jody - AKA Mac1ntosh

I love an Apple...computer that is!
    DX'99 - Started Betaseron April '05 - Quit Betaseron Sept. '15
    Started Gilenya Oct. '15

Finding nothing better to watch these days, I've started watching West Wing from the beginning again -- it's old enough that I don't remember much, mostly just the highlights. Interesting to watch the president-with-secret MS plot line evolve. I find myself wondering if I'd vote for a candidate with MS, knowing what I know about the disease. My own MS was in remission for many, many years, but of course I never knew when that might end, or what level of stress I could tolerate. For most jobs, I'd consider it a personal decision . . . but president? Not sure.

Comment

I cried when I watched this week's Scorpion episode. She's in a home...why? She can walk and talk, think and act on her own. All she seemed was a little weak and shaky. She's had MS for years. I've never been this jealous of a fictional character before. I was diagnosed less than 3 years ago and I'm practically bed bound now. I'm disgusted with myself and my strong reaction/emotion to a tv show.
      Diagnosed December 20, 2011
      Avonex: February 10, 2012 - March 16, 2013
      Tysabri: June 28, 2013 - May 23, 2014
      Betaseron: August 15, 2014 - March 10, 2015
      Aubagio: June 18, 2015 - current

Comment

A lot of people on Law & Order SVU have MS. It's pretty accurate, from the articulate but powerchair bound husband of a wife harboring a decades -long secret, to the woman using a crutch who relies on her niece's prostitution money to pay the rent, and the "aggressive" case of the former opera sister who can only move a finger. (You can binge watch on hulu).

Comment

Betsi, I have started watching West Wing again myself. I always enjoyed that show. As for voting for a President with MS I don't think I could do that. The stress of the job and the lack of quality rest I don't see how a person could do the job. I could be wrong but I just don't see it happening.
          Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
          Babe Ruth

Comment

Yeah but you would be doing them a huge favor imagine the great health care the president would get.

No worries about how to pay for DMD's or if the one you need will be approved by your insurance company. Just as long as they didn't forget and take the Nuclear Launch codes into the MRI everything would be fine.
            Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

LostCupcakes,
              I got angry when I watched Scorpion and saw the condition of the character they placed in a care facility. They played it up like she was almost completely disabled, and then we see, well, what we saw.

Last week I saw a novel at the library and discovered one of the characters has MS, and the author is portraying the disease treatment inaccurately. Angry again. Didn't check out the book, even though it looked like a good story overall.

I'm glad that MS is more visible in media now, but it would be nice if they'd get it right, or at least closer to right. This stuff bothers me too.
              Portia

Comment

Oooh yeah, Dyin, , there's some fun hours of viewing pleasure there.

Comment

The sad part about mis portraying is relatives and friends often mistake it as truth and it comes back at us. But really tv is fiction I never expect it to get anything right and no one prob' does, tv gets more fake and wrong daily it seems.

Comment

Many reason to be in nursing home

I've had MS for over 50 years. Imagine in the next 10 years I will be in a nursing home.

1. Feeding yourself with "normal" foods or being on a special diet like I am.
                    2. Taking care of bodily functions (pee, poo & cleaning up after)
                    3. Speech issues ( mine has gone almost completely)
                    4. Having a social life. I rarely leave my home because wheelchair/bed bound.
                    5. Doctors come to you. Or Medicare will pay for trips to doc office.

Not everyone has a wonderful life with DMD's that work. I was dx at age 12 so there was nothing out there for me. Glad there are so many drugs available now.

KK

Comment

Originally posted by sloth View Post
                      The sad part about mis portraying is relatives and friends often mistake it as truth and it comes back at us. But really tv is fiction I never expect it to get anything right and no one prob' does, tv gets more fake and wrong daily it seems.
                      Anyone who comes "back at you" because of a fictional character, point them to the Annette Funicello video on YouTube or the "When I Walk" documentary in the sticky. It's real and it's scary, and you have to live with it as a possible future reality every day.

Comment

Originally posted by kellygrn View Post
                        I've had MS for over 50 years. Imagine in the next 10 years I will be in a nursing home.

1. Feeding yourself with "normal" foods or being on a special diet like I am.
                        2. Taking care of bodily functions (pee, poo & cleaning up after)
                        3. Speech issues ( mine has gone almost completely)
                        4. Having a social life. I rarely leave my home because wheelchair/bed bound.
                        5. Doctors come to you. Or Medicare will pay for trips to doc office.

Not everyone has a wonderful life with DMD's that work. I was dx at age 12 so there was nothing out there for me. Glad there are so many drugs available now.

KK
                        ((Kellygryn))
                        I don't know how I would portray a character with MS.
                        Tawanda

Comment

Dyen Mylen

I finally got the courage to watch the you tube video of Annette Funicello and couldn't finish it I was crying so bad. That really got to me. The reality just scares me being newly diagnosed. I'm going to watch "Scorpian" this week to see what it's all about.

Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                          RRMS
                          Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

The letter in episode 2 of Scorpion said the sister had been diagnosed two years earlier with an especially aggressive case of primary progressive MS, and since the brother is her health care proxy, the sister asked the care facility to keep him in the loop about her condition in the event she became unable to make medical decisions herself. She wasn't warehoused there--she was making her own decisions regarding care if her condition worsened. I'm not a speed reader--Hulu has a pause button
                            Peg

Comment

I don't watch shows that portray characters with ms. I live it every day and I know where this leads. I don't need to be reminded. Tv is supposed to be dramatic, but when there's incorrect info, it just makes me mad. And I don't want to be mad.

It's good to have more awareness, but tv is not doing us any favors.

Comment

Working...
                              X