No announcement yet.

Have you ever declined your MRI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I refused an MRI because my deductible was too high and I didn't want to pay for it. I wasn't having any new issues, so I figured why bother. It was a waste of time and money. Then I ended up getting the MRI a month later after I quickly deteriorated. Of course, that was a total coincidence.

Honestly, after my last experience from getting an MRI, I'll refuse again unless I'm totally deteriorating like crazy again. I see no point in doing it when the medical "professional" will only treat the MRI and not my symptoms. What he doesn't know won't hurt me.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Did it.

Ok I finally got that MRI last week, 15 months post diagnosis I called my Neuro today for results.

I left a message, his PA returned my call but I missed it. A front office person returned that call and said...

It was abnormal worse than previous MRI maybe the Neuro will consider changing my current RX Copaxone in 6mo or maybe a year

I must say it.

WHAT THE HELL!

I will be calling back tomorrow to speak with the Neuro. Hope he's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by lstrl View Post
        I refused an MRI because my deductible was too high and I didn't want to pay for it. I wasn't having any new issues, so I figured why bother. It was a waste of time and money. I see no point in doing it when the medical "professional" will only treat the MRI and not my symptoms. What he doesn't know won't hurt me.
        I just wanted to thank you for putting my exact reasons I haven't had an MRI since '02. Too much like reading Tea Leaves. I guess they don't know what else to do, but I refused to pay for MRIs until they figure it out.

All these DMTs are crapshoots at this point IMHO. Perhaps if the side effects are tolerable, it is worth being on one of them to hedge your bets, but I don't know. At least by taking a DMT, we feel like we are battling this disease from a psychological perspective instead of just lying there and "taking it". Again, just my opinion...
        Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Lavee View Post
          Ok I finally got that MRI last week, 15 months post diagnosis I called my Neuro today for results.

I left a message, his PA returned my call but I missed it. A front office person returned that call and said...

It was abnormal worse than previous MRI maybe the Neuro will consider changing my current RX Copaxone in 6mo or maybe a year

I must say it.

WHAT THE HELL!

Ok the PA called me today before she realized I had left a message for her...

2 new lesions that more than likly appeared shortly after my last MRI and starting on Copaxone.

Relieved....

Comment

My MRIs never change

I had my first MRI 3 1/2 years ago when I first experienced any syptoms (foot drop). The MRI shows so many lesions that it looks like a lit up Christmas tree. Within three weeks I had another MRI of the brain and spine and was diagnosed with MS. Since then I have had several MRI's. My symptoms keep progressing yet the MRI's don't show anything new.

Today was the first time that I was so weak that I accepted the help of a wheelchair when I went for my first chemo IV. My neurologist ordered another spine MRI that I have to get when my insurance improves it. I have tried to refuse in the past because they are very painful for me but keep being told that the test is very important. We'll see.

Comment

My neuro doesn't like to get MRIs and reay has an out of the box approach. I am getting one his year since it has been 4 yrs and I've used my deductible. I do not anticipate making any changes in my DMT after the MRI....I am hoping there are no more new lesions though...

Comment

I am set to get my yearly MRI's on 11/14/14. I get three, with and without contrast. It never occurred to me NOT to get them. This will be my third set. Both previous sets of MRIs showed the same leisions. No more new ones; but the original ones still there. Do you think I need to get MRI's every year if I am not showing any new symptoms or problems? Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.

Comment

MRI contrast

I'm no expert on the effect on my liver from the contrast, but I'm over 60 and when I have an MRI w/contrast I have to have a blood test to check my liver. That can be a concern.

I have declined an MRI once. It was my 1st one and I was a wreck. Now I'm an 'old pro' at having them. Still don't like them though they aren't painful, just boring and too long :-)

Diane
                  You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Stable MRI: Good news or bad news????

Originally posted by Queen Lavee View Post

I must say it.

WHAT THE HELL!

I don't know if getting news that there is activity on your MRI is necessarily bad. A stable MRI *could* mean you have progressed out of RRMS, or it *could* mean your DMT is working, or it *could* mean your body is experiencing a natural remission of MS. This is why I hate those things!
                    Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                    X