Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you all use for a drinking glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you all use for a drinking glass?

I used to use a "glass glass." But today I dropped it by my bed, and of course it broke, because I won't permit carpet in my room.

So I have my aluminum coffee glass, and my plastic drinking glass. But, you know me, I always used to have glass, glass. But no more. I don't want to clean up shredded glass again.

Just curious, is there a certain type of plastic that is less toxic to use?

My favorite is a wide mouth mason jar, think it is pint size. I have dropped them several times and they hardly ever break, and if they do you only have a few large pieces to pick up. I have hard wood floors, the only times I have broke one is if I drop it on hard tile or on concrete.
    They can be used for hot or cold drinks, are microwave safe, can be frozen, and are cheep.

Comment

I don't know about less toxic, but I use a plastic MS Society travel mug for coffee and a MS World Blender Bottle for water, also plastic. They don't break when dropped and the travel mug can be microwaved to heat up the coffee. They also don't leak much when upset.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Grips

Hi Marie,

You can go to a Dollar store and get a plastic type mug with a rubber grip. I use those when I get a few tremors and can be put in the dish washer. I'm like you......I love glasses but you have to make things convenient for you. In fact, I bought a set of six at a summer clearance dollar store.

My best.....
        SusieQ

Diagnosed 6-28-14
        RRMS
        Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

I'm not allowed to use any glass,(LOL) I have a large plastic jug called a ''Bubba" I drink Ice Tea all day & it keeps the tea & Ice cold.My Dear SIL bought my DD & I each one years ago.
          For my coffee (promis not to laugh) I have used a yellow plastic coffee cup I got in a bag of dog food about 30yrs.ago.Every move I've made every trip I take it goes in my bag w/me.I'm not fussy as long as my coffee is Hot & Black & in my yellow cup.

Comment

Most of the time, I use a Tervis tumbler self-insulating plastic "glass." There is a built-in air space that keeps iced drinks from sweating, and they have a lifetime guarantee against breakage. My family really likes them, and there are good sales available from time to time. Just put a dot com after the name...
            "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." ~James Elliot

Comment

See, you all have me spoiled

Thank you all. You have really helped me. You are all doing very important work, helping others. Give yourselves a pat on the arm. I would say "pat on the back," but I can't reach that far.

Thank you. Now I need to go shopping online

Comment

I use an adult sippy cup :-) actually a Rubbermaid water bottle with a top that has a locking latch over the opening. Look for BPA- free plastics if you're worried about things leaching into your drink (that's just one of the toxic compounds in many plastics of course, but better to avoid one of the worst ones).

I also use those double wall insulated cups with the straw in the center of the lid for cold drinks, and travel mugs for hot drinks. Unbreakable, and they lock in case they tip over.

I've think I've broken all of my glass, pottery and china by now anyway :-)

Comment

I agree with Hawkeye, The Tervis mugs are wonderful.

My neighbors go to Florida for the winter every year.

We keep an eye on their house for them and they have brought back many versions of Tervis from a Tervis outlet store down there.

Tall, short, mugs or tumblers.

It keeps hot- hot for a good long time. Cold- cold for a long time also.

I had Ice Coffee today. Still had some ice left 3 hours later/ with sip cover on. Hubby loves his beer in the tall/no cover on.

muppy
                  Never pass up a opportunity to pee!

Comment

Another vote for Tervis products here. Great products and so nice that they don't sweat and they don't break, at least not so far .

Comment

Yup. Tervis girl here. What's great about them, is you can get caps and drink out of the straw. Even if you tip the tumbler slightly, your liquid stays in. I would never use glass now and I love the added security of the cap. Plus, Tervis tumblers are so fun, with so many designs and sizes. Make it easier and buy some caps and straws.

Comment

a suggestion that might help

If you are at home or out in public where you may not have your favorite cup, you can put a rubber band on the cup. This makes it less slip resistant.

This is really effective if you are at a party and those pesky styraphome (even spell check did not help me here, lol) cups. Several rubber bands fit well in purses or pockets of pants if going anywhere that you may need them for this purpose. And, they are cheap.
                        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Im with the op, I use a Rubbermaid bottle with latch lid, the ones that don't smell funky plastic. I tremor sometimes and have loss of sensation so I break dishes all the time. I will use a heavy low set glass if Im at the table tho'.

Comment

What I love is my retro coffee mug for sailing/ boating. The base is at least twice as wide as the top. It holds a lot and it is almost impossible to tip over. If you search 'nautical mug' you can find pictures.

Comment

Tervis tumbler with the closable lid !

Comment

Working...
                              X