Hip Flexion Assist Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hip Flexion Assist Device

I have hip weakness and as a result i overlift on my good leg to fling the right leg forward.
    Does anyone have experience with these devices?

Appear to be simplistic, basically a rubber band from the hip to the foot and can go behind the knee to assist the knee as well.

Just wondering if anyone has tried one before investing the money in one if I can get the doc to write me a script for it.

thanks
    1995-symptoms with no cause
    2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
    2000/1-started Avonex
    2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
    Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

HFAD

Can't believe I saw this. I have not been on the board in quite a while.

Yes, I have used the HFAD. I have used it at Cleveland Clinic in their PT department.

Then at home in my local PT Center we rigged up a similar device using the rubber bands, a belt, PVC piping, and velcro.

I found that after I use it a while, I can take it off and then have some muscle memory for a while. It doesn't last. It just assists with picking up my leg so I do not swing it out.

My insurance won't cover the cost.

Let me know how you do.

Take Care

Comment

HFAD

I did get a HFAD, first my PT got one on trial from the company. I have used it with varying success. Basically still need someone with me for safety but it is worth a try!
      GG

Comment

I've been using an HFAD for 2 1/2 years. It is very lightweight (1.5 lbs.) relatively inexpensive (under $300), and easy to wear. I purchased pants one size larger, and in the beginning, most people didn't even know I was wearing it.

However, it won't stop the progression of the weakening of hip flexors since this is a symptom of the nerve degeneration in MS. I find I now can walk without it for short distances, so I do believe it has helped, to a degree, strengthen the muscles involved. When needed, I now use it with a rollator/walker.

I continue to wear it when I have a long day in town. I am able to shop Costco and Albertsons, using the grocery cart for stability. However, I can see that, in the not too distant future, I'll need the motorized carts.

I do feel it was well worth the money. It can continue to be modified as your disability progresses, so I imagine I will use it for many more years.

If your doctor writes a prescription you can deduct it as a medical expense on your taxes if your medical is high enough. Insurance won't cover it, yet.

Comment

Stay Tuned...

I too have significant hip flexor weakness and have been trying to strengthen for four years now (dx in 2000). Reality, most likely won't happen. However, still will work hard to remain strong. My PT said there is a new device coming out, that is similar to this device and specifically targets hip flexor region. I forgot the whole name, Triple...and there's that brain fog kicking in. Keep up the great work everyone! Advancements continue!

Comment

ru4cats,
            I have seen your posts and followed this HFAD thread for 2 years. I am embarrassed to ask but would you post the name and model of the device. I need to talk to my neurologist and PT about it. If I can get it covered by my insurance, I will need a script. And so on and on.

Comment

catoda,

I'd be really interested in that new device you mentioned. Any way you could find out the name? I tried "the google" but had no luck.

Thanks.

Comment

I read all of the posts and have found the info on the web. I asked my neurologist for a 'scrip' but now I don't know how to proceed. My insurance will pay 50% of the costs as long as an in-network PT or prosthetist? tech? will fit it to me. I don't know how to make this work. I assumed that my neurologist would be able to help me out but his nurse/receptionist doesn't know anything about it and I can't get to talk to the neuro. Any ideas on how I can proceed?

Comment

I bought an HFAD about 4 moths ago. I have weak hip flexors and abductors on my left leg and need to use a rollator. I don't think it's very comfortable, but it does help me lift my leg and walk a little faster. I use it as an exercise tool and when I go to PT. It enables me to strengthen the muscles and they are defintely a little stronger. I've noticed I can lift my leg better even when I'm not wearing it, but you need to stick to the exercises from PT.

MY PT got an Rx from my neuro even though he'd never heard of it before. On their website there are forms to print out and fax to them. There are some basic things to fill out- height, weight. They make them for either leg or a double one if both legs are weak. Mine cost about $270. My insurance doesn't cover these and they won't submit them to your insurance company.

I called them to ask if it was returnable if I felt is was no help. I spoke to the manager (sarah) and she agreed to take it back if my PT felt it would not be beneficial.
                  Jenna
                  Dxed R/R 1999 ,Avonex 1999-2003,Rebif 2003-7Tysabri 2008-2013, JC +

Comment

JerryD,

Everything that Jenna said. I went to a NP and requested a prescription with PT required, noted on the script. I even went so far as to have the HFAD delivered to my therapist's office, rather than to my home address. They do have the form on their website.

I don't find my HFAD uncomfortable at all, and I wear it underneath my pants on my weakest leg. I did purchase the two-cable version and gave it a quick try, but that was a bridge too far. You can save yourself some money there.

Unfortunately, my HFAD is not strengthening my hip flexors any longer, although it did help in the beginning. I'm now exercising in a pool to see if I can stengthen my legs and hip flexors that way. However, I still wear my HFAD anytime I'm away from the house, although now I combine it with a rollator.

Hope this information helps.

Comment

I found out that the device is not covered by my insurance. I will end up paying out of pocket for it. I believe it costs about $2 70.00+ shipping +fitting @ $75.00 per hour. If anyone is interested in the product, you are on your own to figure it out. I hope it works for me otherwise it is money down a hole!

Comment

A big thank you to those of you that responded to me. It is surprising to me that over 6000 sign on to the site and I had 2 people resapond about the device that I am interested in. I guess that means ' good luck, buddy! Don't bother me !'. I get it !

Comment

I'm sorry that more people didn't respond, Jerry. If I knew anything about this device it at all, I would have answered. But I didn't even look at this thread until right now, and I suspect a lot of people who come to MSWorld don't have the energy/time to read every thread here. I also think there are a lot of people who never post (shy?) anywhere, unlike you and I, who have no problem adding our two cents wherever we go. And don't forget that there are some people who no longer have the ability to do so.

Anyway, I've never heard of this before--did you wind up ordering it? I think it might help me, too. I never realized how much I swing my right leg to the outside until I recently glimpsed myself walk toward a full-length mirror. And I do drag it when I get tired. I hope that if you did/do get it, it helps you.
                          PPMS
                          Dx 07/13

Comment

Hi J-Bo,
                            thanks for your reply. Yes, indeedy, I ordered the device and it was received by the orthotist. It arrived on Friday and ,as it is now Sunday, I will call the orthotist and schedule a time to be fitted with it. I will definitely post with my experiences when I have the device for a week or so.
                            By the way, I love Pittsburg. Piermanti's... forget about it !!

Comment

J-Bo, I know. I misspelled Pittsburg(h). It wasn't for lack of trying but you know about MS brain. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X