Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jogging with MS Mild Balance Issues?

Hi,

I've had MS for 23 years and over the last 8 have put weight on due to Meds, Side Effects, Extreme Fatigue and reduced mobility. My weight gain is a health issue and not a Vanity issue.

I'm in a good spell at the moment, and when pushing my Aunty in a wheelchair for her hosp appt, I realised that I could jog slowly for the first time in years due to the security of the wheelchair push bar.

Sooooo.....I'm thinking about trying start light jogging again and trying to replicate the wheelchair effect with another wheeled device.

I'm thinking about buying and using a 4 wheel rollator for stability. Can anyone relate, and if so, what do you use to enable you to exercise?

I was a long distance runner and recently found out I too could jog again thanks to Tysabri.

I don't recommend it. Seriously...my left leg eventually drags and down I go...I only made it about a block. I was smart to have someone jog with me and he literally "swept me off my feet" so no injuries.

What I do for my workout is stretching exercises, balance exercises, and then I walk with barbells in my hands for 30 minutes, 6 days a week for cardio and strength. I do this inside the house in the Great Room....a nice circle path. You could jog in place while watching TV...should not be dangerous, but I would do it behind a couch or something that could soften the fall if it happens.

I am glad to be able to have a workout routine again. It has definitely improved my strength, balance, energy and energy. I think it has helped with depression too.

Good Luck.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

What about a baby jogging stroller sans the baby?

Comment

Hi, get a treadmill it has made all the difference in the world to me. I have almost no ballance at all but with something to hold on to it allows me to jog,power walk, or even more if I have a really good day Seriously though, also get some of those, tube bands with handles for strength training because you will loose a lot more weight doing both.

I lost 55 pounds in about 6 months 3 years ago. I was having the same problems as you. The MonSter was taking all the much needed strength and exercise that we all need to stay healthy away from me. Muscle burns fat all the time even at rest but it amazing how fast I lost my muscle. I now do around 3 miles every day and as many of the tube streches as the day will let me but I also have fibro so every morning I have to battle with my self but it actually helps the pain after awhile and it has literally saved my life. I have also had the MonSter very long and the changes in our bodies are slow and sneaky and we must keep up as much activity as we can.
        Hope this is some help to you.

PEACE
        Tortis

Comment

Long before MS when I first started jogging, I was pushing an umbrella stroller with child aboard. One day I hit a bump and the stroller flipped over........scary situation.

Moral of the story is use something that is designed for what you need, in this case something with the correct wheels for your jogging. A rollator probably has the same chance of hitting a bump and flinging you over that my stroller had.

A stroller meant for running would work, but many don't have brakes and fly down hills. I used one for several years and loved it. Didn't have MS.

Good luck finding a solution. Sometimes we have to alter what we want to do athletically and find alternatives. I can't run, but I can bike and swim.

Comment

Good for you to be thinking about getting exercise. Just be safe. If you find a device that works and provides you with the safety that is appropriate, go for it. Good luck

Comment

If you have any problems with foot drop, first get a pair of ankle foot orthotic devices to help keep your lower legs stable, and your toes from dragging the ground. Talk with a representative from your local or a national walker place and see if they can modify one for jogging.

Anyway, keep trying, it never hurts to try.

Good luck!
              Lisa
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

Working...
              X