No Fear MRI Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Fear MRI Website

In all my research about MRIs, I came across this great website. It contains lots of information about MRIs and answers lots of questions claustrophobic people like me have

http://www.NoFearMRI.com

That's a great resource you found. Thanks for posting the links. Might be fun to share MRI stories. Because I don't think anyone is immuned from the trepidation felt because of the MRI machine.

My first MRI was probably 20 years ago. At that time the MRI I was sent to wasn't even in a building but in something close to a tractor trailer type of enclosure. You went outside the building to the "container." The ventilation, inside the tube, back then was awful. It was so scary that first time that I thought my heart would beat out of my chest...and the sequences were looooong because they were using a low Tesla machine. My dad had an MRI shortly after I had mine, I warned him, and after he came out I asked him how it went...he said he'd never said the Twenty Third Psalm so many times in his whole life

MRI machines have come a long way. I have no problems with MRIs anymore because I think I just got used to them. Now the noise makes me drowsy. The ventilation is great, and they have those little mirrors so you can see outside. Plus they go much faster than they used to.

But I understand the fear and a doc will always offer meds if you feel clautrophobic.

I had a friend who had no idea what she was in for. They pushed her in the tube, she started calling for them to let her out, which they did. She walked around the outside, and then was willing to go back in. She said it was like the Tardis, only the opposite (any Dr. Who fans will understand.) The Tardis is bigger on the inside than the outside, the MRI machine seems MUCH smaller on the inside than on the outside. And because my husband and I are sci-fi fans, we also refer to it as Spock's coffin...if you don't follow sci-fi...these references won't have any meaning...sorry I digressed.

Seriously though, I'm an average sized person, and it's a snug fit when I'm in the tube, I wonder how larger folks are able to use the machine.

Comment

I had my second MRI just a week ago today. The first one was 14 years ago. I had forgotten how loud they are and the space inside is tight. I am very claustrophobic and had to take some Xanax that I had before going in. It helped a lot this second time around but 14 years ago I just closed my eyes and prayed -- I didn't know what else to do -- I was terrified.

Comment

Having dye injected is the worst for me. I'm always worried it will give me kidney cancer or leak into surrounding tissues or suddenly provoke anaphylactic shock.

Comment

It's Open MRI for me

I always use an open MRI which is so different than the closed ones. No narrow tube. Because for brain MRIs they put a sort of cage over my head, I still took a Valium. The facility I went too also allowed my husband to sit in the room which was very comforting. The technician was understanding and patient with my anxiety and fears. All this helped!

Comment

I love MRI's! I find it a very relaxing hour, and hate when it is over. I always come out feeling very rested. The dye doesn't bother me, other than the fact it wakes me up out of a nice rest.

The one I had a month ago, I asked the tech if she could bottle up the noise for me so I could use it to put me to sleep at night .
            Brenda
            Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Working...
            X