MRI anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI anxiety

Every few years my neurologist insists that I do an MRI, a machine I hate. He gives me good argument: we need to know what's going on, maybe the medicine doesn't work any more, there are new ones. My husband gives me a good argument too: this machine is harmless.
    I take a Valium and go to a facility with open MRIs yet.. I can't shake my fear of getting stuck in there, of feeling claustrophobic. What to do?

I don't experience claustrophobia, so it's hard to know what advice to give. The Valium might be a good idea, or maybe something that isn't a narcotic, that also works for anxiety.

Actually, I find an MRI relaxing. I close my eyes, even though I don't feel claustrophobic. And, the rhythmic sounds of the MRI machine sometimes lull me to sleep. Many facilities will put on a radio station of your choice to listen to while you are in the MRI machine.

Perhaps closing your eyes, listening to music, and choosing to expect it to be relaxing, rather than anxiety-causing, might help. And, yeah. If you need some anxiety treating meds, feel free to feel OK about that.

I agree with your doctor, that there are many good reasons to have an MRI. In the 14 years that I've had MS, I've had 9 MRI's. Seven of them occurred during the first 2 years, to help with dx. The last 2 have been in "Year 7" and "Year 12" to do 5-year checks on how the meds are working and how the MS is progressing.

~ Faith

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by claudine View Post
      Every few years my neurologist insists that I do an MRI, a machine I hate. He gives me good argument: we need to know what's going on, maybe the medicine doesn't work any more, there are new ones. My husband gives me a good argument too: this machine is harmless.
      I take a Valium and go to a facility with open MRIs yet.. I can't shake my fear of getting stuck in there, of feeling claustrophobic. What to do?
      I was the same way, so I got my valium dose doubled. Now I hear I'm the life of the party down there!
      Seattle, WA
      Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
      Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

Comment

Tell them the Valium did not ease your claustrophobia and try a higher dose. You'll have to have someone drive you, but that's okay.

Also some MRI's allow a "support person" to be in the room with you...I've heard of this, never inquired about it, but evidently knowing they're there is what helps calm the person down.,

My neuro, in fact, all neuros I've had over the years, would not accept an MRI from an open MRI machine...brain MRIs had to be from a closed machine.

I used to get panicky..I'd count and use metered breathing to keep my composure, but now I'm like Faith, they make me sleepy when I'm in there, I think the noise is hypnotic.

As to time frame...my first neuro didn't believe in regular MRIs (i.e. yearly)...her line was, "I treat the symptoms, not the MRI", and there are arguments for that, especially since the MRI is just a snapshot in time, and lesions are constantly in flux, coming and going, etc.

My current neuro requires regular ones (and I'm not on a DMD...but they want to watch one particular lesion), but I just go with the flow and follow the recommendation of the neuro. I imagine a neuro could/might release you as a patient if you refused to get recommended MRIs.

I could give you a million quotes about fear and overcoming it, or phobias that are best overcome by repeated exposure to the "feared" thing...but claustrophobia is real, and you're feeling what you're feeling, so you need to find a way to deal with it, and
        medication, for many folks facing MRIs, seems to be
        the best bet.

Comment

Thank you!

Thanks all of you for taking the time to reply. Suggestions help: going with the flow/noise of the machine (great idea); having someone in the room: I asked and they didn't allow it in that facility; more med: probably what will work best for me. Need to gather my courage.

Comment

MRI's started bothering me a few years ago. I was kinda ok with them years prior.

Last set I had around 4 years ago had to be broken down for 2 days since it included many.

My neuro prescribed a small dose of Xanax to take around 45 minutes before the MRI. It made it such a positive difference. I will never do without it, in fact I taken for other stressful medical situations a couple of times.

Ask if this is maybe a good option for you.

Comment

I always have a closed MRI. I take a low dose of Xanax and I have the tect. put a cloth over my eyes which helped me so much, that way you don't open your eyes and see how closed-in you are.

I have had one that had a mirror where I could look out. I really liked that one.

I also have music to listen too.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

You have my sympathies...I am claustrophobic and the first time I had an MRI they knocked me out and so the second time when they offered a pill instead I broke down crying BUT they assured me that IF I couldn't do it they would likely sedate me by IV as with the first one.

Well....I've had four brain, two cervical and two thoracic ones since that second time and they give me a Xanax and I have a friend come sit and keep me company and the Xanax does the trick. I work on trying to sleep (despite the noise I do doze off), I pray and try to "make music" to the clangs and bangs of the MRI . The minute I lay down and feel the table start to move I close my eyes and don't open them again til I'm done.

Part of my problem too is I have a problem with my swallow and when nervous I get dry mouth, and of course that makes it hard to swallow and exacerbates my issues. So....I found a simple way to help me since I can't really take a sip of water to trigger my swallow as I would any other time (though they will pull me out to drink if I need...in between sets of the picture taking). I found some little "sponges" on a stick at the local medical supply/pharmacy. It's what they use for tooth brushes in the hospital I think. Anyway, my friend will dampen one and I can take a little "sip/suck" off the sponge, it "wets my whistle" and I'm good to go.

I praise God for finding ways for me to mitage my issues...cuz these MRI's need to be done and regularly.

Hope this helps in some small way...at least to know you are not alone in your fears. There are many of us out there all struggle to...find a way.

God bless you.
                Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

MRIs don't bother me. I guess because I view them as a temporary retreat. WHen I know I'm getting an MRI I am relaxed about it because I know that is definitely ONE time I won't be scurrying around trying to manage all the different things I'm responsible for. Work, kids, bills, commuting, pressure, pressure, pressure.

In the MRI I go to my happy place. I visualize tropical islands, sunsets, little drinks with umbrellas in them, pool boys giving massages...ahhhhhhhhhh

Comment

Don't worry Claudine, you cannot get stuck inside the scanner.
                    At worst, a technician goes round the back and pushes you out!

No, I have never had Valium either. What I have done inside is to write things in my head (once a lecture, once a conference paper) or tried to spot a pattern in the noises that the machine made.

Most of us find a way of dealing with MRIs, and then wonder what all the fuss is about. If your way works for you then it's the right way.

Comment

The best preparation for an MRI is Iv Ativan however very hard to come by for an outpatient MRI. I always just close my eyes so I don't know when they push me in. The machines have improved tremendously since my first one in 1988. The tunel is much wider and they have mirrors now.

Comment

mri jitters

I know exactly how you feel. I hate that tube even though I believe Tesla was a genius. I always feel like I'm smothering and I get panic attacks so my Dr. has me take xanax so I usually sleep through it. I hope you find a medication that works for you. Just remember you will come out and wont get stuck.

Comment

Just not much fun!

Well, I'm an MRI veteran. The first time the MRI was in a dark cold room. I walked up to it and turned to the tech and said, "I can't do it", and I didn't. But, I eventually put on my big girl shoes and got through it.

They don't hurt, but there you lay, having to be stone still for up to 45 mins and if it's spine and brain it's longer.

I hear they have MRI's you can sit down in and also stand. I'd like to try that.

The other day I was talking to my pulmonologist (I also have asthma) about the frustration of taking the DMDs and never really knowing if I'm better or worse. He called the MRI's primitive and that surprised me. Still, to the point, the MRI can show lesions, but it doesn't really tell us how deep they are or what they might be doing. I've asked my neuro if the lesions cannot pinpoint troubled areas and then something could be done about those areas (ex: my itchy foot), what good are they.

However, as to discomfort or fear., there is little discomfort aside from being still for so long. If it would help you ask the tech if you can watch the MRI as they move it into the tube. You don't go very far in really. They can hear you and see you. One I was in even had a mirror set up so I could see the tech! Some have earphones and you can put your own tape in their player. No you can't hear all of it over the racket but in between the noisy parts a tape can be a distraction and help you realize time.

Personally, I prefer a cat scan, but I guess it's just not as good. Drat.

Diane
                          You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Did it!

I did the MRI this morning and it's such a relief, both that it's done and that I was able to do it.

Many thing helped: sharing on this board and getting many suggestions, words of sympathy and sharing of experiences.

The most helpful was probably the Valium that I took but that wouldn't have been enough on its own. The technician was very understanding, showed me the machine, how it worked, answered all my questions. My husband was allowed in the room. It was an open MRI which looks much better that a closed one although they did put my head in some contraption and slid something over me but by that time I had closed my eyes which no doubt is very important.

Also the thought that "the technician can push you out anytime" as someone suggested was very comforting as well as was the noise of the machine. I knew it was doing its thing so time was passing. The silence between the various takes was more unnerving.

As someone said, now that it's done, I wonder "what was the big deal!" but nervous people like me need all the help they can get.

A heartfelt thanks to all of you!

Comment

I'm so glad that some of our suggestions were useful. That's what we're here for!

~ Faith
                              ~ Faith
                              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                              X