Trigeminal neuralgia teeth pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trigeminal neuralgia teeth pain

I'm pretty sure we've discussed this before, but I am in a mess right now and need some input.

Been having terrible sensitivity all over my mouth and especially my teeth. They just hurt a lot!

I was beginning to think this was from gastritis. It can cause dental problems. But now I'm back to thinking it's TN.

I just had an especially bad "attack" and then had a panic attack right after. Took a half Xanax and have settled down.

Please someone who has this symptom.. please respond and tell me your experiences. Could TN cause this kind of tooth pain?
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

TN

Hey Marti:

I am sorry you are in so much pain. I know this pain all too well! I have bilateral TN. So I mostly have pain only on one side or the other at one time or the other. However there have been times when I have had it on both times. Generally I have had mostly lightning like pain in my teeth and above in my face up through my eye. Each lightning strike pain would last a couple of seconds, then the next one would come on in a few more seconds. I had several root canals trying to find the pain before referring me to a neurologist. That was the beginning of my MS journey.

I take anti-seizure medications for it. Trileptal helps best for me. I also get steroid injections in my head once per month and that seems to help the most.

Best of luck to you! Feel better!
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Yes

I have TN with tooth pain . At times for me it is also unbearable . I take Trileptal, which calms it down.
      Tl-Tr3
      DX'07 MS- on Tysabri-

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
        Hey Marti:

I am sorry you are in so much pain. I know this pain all too well! I have bilateral TN. So I mostly have pain only on one side or the other at one time or the other. However there have been times when I have had it on both times. Generally I have had mostly lightning like pain in my teeth and above in my face up through my eye. Each lightning strike pain would last a couple of seconds, then the next one would come on in a few more seconds. I had several root canals trying to find the pain before referring me to a neurologist. That was the beginning of my MS journey.

I take anti-seizure medications for it. Trileptal helps best for me. I also get steroid injections in my head once per month and that seems to help the most.

Best of luck to you! Feel better!
        Lisa

Thank you Lisa. I really don't know what to think. For all these years I've had a mild case of TN. Mostly zingers around my cheeks and eyes. But in the last month or so I was dx with gastritis and was in the E/R a couple days ago with spasms. This teeth thing started a few weeks ago. Some of the people I chat with in the gastritis board have the same kind of mouth sensitivity. So how do we figure out what is causing this and if there is anything that can be done to help? Very frustrating.

My neuro is reluctant to do steroids on me because they raise my heart rate. How do you get along with them? Do you have to go to the hospital for that?

This pain in my teeth is not lightening, but stinging and soreness mostly on the bottom front. I actually ate a meal today.. hurray. First one in a while.

Hope you get along better. Thanks again.
        Marti

Comment

Hey Marti: Good to hear from you. I actually only get what they call nerve blocks, that are done with steroid shots, so there are no infusions for me, just brief shots there in the office. Two in the back of my head, two in the front of my scalp. I have a very low resting HR so I don't have to worry about that. However the shots behave differently than the IV infusions because the dose is WAY different. Meaning the IV kind are a way larger dose.

If your pain goes over your bottom 2 teeth, it may not be TN as the pain doesn't usually cross the nose line due to how the nerves run. Now if you have bilateral TN, it could be. Ask your neurologist as they are the best advisors on this type of stuff. They know you best.

Take care
          Lisa
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

My

Pain is farther back in my in the back teeth.
            But sometimes I feel it towards the front - I think it radiates back to front.
            I just had a 3 day treatment of steroids - at home. MD decided on it because I started with symptoms of glossopharyngeal neuralgia also. First dose raised my heart rate , but went down later in the day.
            Hope you feel better soon.
            Tl-Tr3
            DX'07 MS- on Tysabri-

Comment

marti,

When my TN is really bad, I do have pain in my teeth. It is the ODDEST THING. I mean "seriously"?? I already have pain on other parts of my body, my TEETH should be a PAIN FREE zone.
              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

TN

June 2013 my MS was diagnosed with a sudden, severe, most horrific shocking pain I have ever experienced, on the left side of jaw and face. It lasted 3 months. After MANY prescriptions I am on lamotrigine (300 mg daily - increase prior to dental appointments or if I feel things starting up). Also on weekly injection with Avonex Pen. I like to think that between the two it's helping to hold it off, but always have concern it may return.

Comment

Guys I finally went to the dentist and found out I had advanced periodontal disease! I had no idea. Had a deep cleaning with scaling etc. Have some bone loss as well. But they assure me that the infection should be gone now.

I'm glad I didn't just accept that it was the MS all along.
                  Marti

Comment

To expand a little: They also said the dry mouth which might have caused this came as a result of meds that I use for the MS. And... my old MS doctor ( has MS too ) informed me that she had extensive tooth loss from the same thing. Guess this is a part of our autoimmune dysfunction and the medications we use for the MS etc.
                    Marti

Comment

Just a year back I had also suffered from same horrible pain and I was getting no particular cure for it. Then my friend suggested me to visit once. I did so and I am fine today. Thanks to her.

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**

Comment

Working...
                      X