Cutting My Hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting My Hours

Have been an employee over 30 years and now they are cutting my hours back to part time. I know it's because I am one of the higher paid employees. I was told that there will be no work for me when one of bosses retire at end of month. (Don't believe this as we have multiple docs at multiple locations.) They will hire non medically trained personnel and they will not have to pay for their health insurance etc.

I will now lose my benefits and have already signed up for nonsense insurance that will cost me over 200.00 mth with a 3 grand deductible. I will also try to get my actual hours as that was not given to me. I have requested all this information in writing.

They know that I am widowed and raising my 16 yo son on my own. Now my trust in anyone is destroyed. I am struggling with my MS diagnosis and lung cancer diagnosis. The lung ca is stable and "no more" as per oncology. Now I am covering someone who is on vacation. My nerves are shattered and I want to get out of here. I have never worked with such a sneaky bunch. Gonna go off deep end one of these days.

Sorry, just wanted to vent. My MS sxs have increased even though my MRI was stable. Think it's all job stress related.
    Any ideas would be appreciated as to handle this. Ideally would love to go out on disability through work then apply for SSDI.
    Thanks for listening/reading.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

So sorry to hear. I would make sure you still have disability option ad part timer. If not, can you file before part time?

I really don't have any wisdom, but just really am disgusted by how your employer is treating you. I wish the best for you band hope things work out for you.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Pennstater, don't think I would fall under STD after this me being part time goes into effect. Would need to do it now but not sure if I need my neuro to back me. Just can't do this anymore.

Will call him tomorrow. I am so freaking stressed over this and of course it's increasing my symptoms!

Comment

I would apply for SSDI now as it may take 6mos or 2 yrs we never know.

I agree with speaking with your neuro and getting his support for a medical leave from your job.

GL and TC

Comment

Have STD through work until end of mth. Don't think I will have after I lose my benefits (including STD) as I will still be working and cannot apply for SSDI while employed even part time.

But thanks. Just not sure if I have all the correct info and my time is ticking. My MRI came out stable but just being under all this pressure is exascerbating my symptoms.

Have a call in to my neuro and if I get no where with him, will get my original neuro whom I was told to see first. It is a bit of a pain to get to him in the city but will do what I have to.

But thanks for all the help!

Comment

I have requested my new hours to be put in writing to the doctor who told me and to the "practice manager" but so far nothing from them. I am really starting to get angry, big time. Will give it another day or two.

Comment

I would suggest contacting your MS neuro ASAP. Explain that after 30yrs employment, your position is being reduced to PT, with plans to eliminate your employment when your boss retires in 30 days. With your age and MS sx's and dx, your chances of future employment are slim?

If you have your MS doc's support to dx 'disabled' dated prior to effective date of benefits ineligible because of reduction to PT employment status, you should be eligible for STD and/or LTD, pensions, 401k, etc., plus have income while applyling for SSDI.

Request FMLA ASAP, while you are still FT. I don't think they can reduce your FT status while on FLMA, which may buy you time to complete all necessary documentation, and get your MS doc on board.

Requesting FMLA alone puts your FT status on hold until forms are completed by your MS doc. It begins the 'effective date' of your disability, which should <hopefully> qualify you for FT benefits.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Thank you, thank you! I actually a call in to my two neuros. Haven't heard from them yet. It's not easy doing this alone. My son is 16 and in private school and I can't keep my head above water as it is. His dad is deceased.

There is no chance of me getting further work for sure. Guess just a waiting game to see if my docs will be on board with me. Now time is of essence.

One of the bosses who told me about this 2 weeks ago felt terrible and said he didn't think it was his place to do it. Since then I have requested, in writing to the office manager and same boss when the start date is- twice and so far no answer.

NY does have unemployment for hours cut. Geeze, all this is so confusing to me. Never thought it would come to this as I am sure many others felt same.

Comment

I have asked my company to tell me in writing as I will need this since all I was told was when Dr. G retires. Pretty broad timeline. "Won't need you" Full of it, I am most paid because I have a degree in healthcare.

I asked them -practice manager and one dr) in writing but so far nothing. Thinking my past over 30 years was a joke.

My boss that is retiring may be able to help out, he was of original guy I started working with. Will be back on Monday but don't know if there would be a conflict of interest.

STRESSED!!

Comment

moz205, FYI

Call HR today, requesting Family Medical Leave Act=FMLA paperwork. In your situation, you must invoke your FMLA rights to protect your FT employment status pending FMLA approval by your MS doc.

Here is cut-n-paste for the time line you are allowed to submit your FMLA form:

SECTION II: For Completion by the EMPLOYEE INSTRUCTIONS to the EMPLOYEE: Please complete Section II before giving this form to your medical provider. The FMLA permits an employer to require that you submit a timely, complete, and sufficient medical certification to support a request for FMLA leave due to your own serious health condition. If requested by your employer, your response is required to obtain or retain the benefit of FMLA protections. 29 U.S.C. §§ 2613, 2614(c)(3). Failure to provide a complete and sufficient medical certification may result in a denial of your FMLA request. 20 C.F.R. § 825.313. Your employer must give you at least 15 calendar days to return this form. 29 C.F.R. § 825.305(b).

The above is from the DOL/Department of Labor site:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/forms/WH-380-E.pdf

Please keep us updated regarding your progress for FMLA and maintaining your STD, LTD, etc., employer provided benefits. After 30yrs service, fight this as though your life is at stake, because in terms of your future, it is.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Well, today I get in to work and finally received a letter with my "new" hours etc.

I will not sign as they had requested this to be signed same day return. There is a clause of "At will employment" where my employment can be ended at anytime with or without cause or notice. I will not sign this and will try to get my attorney.

Ugh, I despise my job and it used to be a great place to come to.

Comment

I hoped you were correct about your boss protecting you, but I did have my doubts.

Does your boss know about the letter you received? If the letter is a general notice to all employees, and your boss has any control and can protect you until you get approved for FMLA protection, that would be the best outcome for you.

Per my last reply about FMLA form and protection you have 15 days from the date you receive FMLA application to return it with your MS docs dx of disability.

Comment

The one boss that will stand up for me is on vacation. He will be back on Monday. I am not signing anything until I speak to an attorney.

Thank you for the FMLA link. I did print it but how could I survive without pay and raise my son at the same time? FMLA would just hold nothing but part time work for me. This is to be effective 8/22/14.

Going to talk to my friend (attorney) tonight and hope to get some answers. Seems everyone is a boss in this practice! RG will definitely be happy (I hope) to go against this bunch as there is no love lost between them all. Will keep you posted. I hope someone can get some answers for themselves from our conversation.

I am now writing everything down as my memory isn't very good and I feel like I am going 1000 mph and getting nowhere......

Thank you again MSW1963!

Comment

If you have paid vacation, regular paid sick leave, etc., you can rely on those paid benefits until approved for FMLA, while you use the 15 days for 'processing' FMLA request by your MS doc.

STD benefits usually begin within 15 to 30 days of the effective date of your disability.

Good luck.

Comment

I do have vacation time, sick time, etc left. My boss that retiring said it didn't take them long. He is so p'o'd at what they are pulling on me.

He told me to contact an 1. attorney who deals with wrongful terminations etc which I have, 2. to report them to the NYS Human Resources so that they will have a hefty legal bill to settle. I may also go Federal. Will see what attorney says.

I hate doing this but they got my Irish up and I am not taking this laying down. I have been through way too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X