When rest does not resolve fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When rest does not resolve fatigue

Does anyone find that "rest" ( the answer to fatigue ) really doesn't help much? I don't care what little chore I attempt, I am wiped out. And just resting for awhile does not charge my battery.

I've become useless in the kitchen. Just putting together a salad can knock me down. And that's where I stay. I am so lost to my old self when I did everything fast and got a lot done.

Everything I've read prescribes "rest" for fatigue. But in my case, it rarely works for me.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hi Marti,

The following was posted by Knuckle in April:

It will be rare that you ever find a MSer who takes LDN that complains of fatigue and the drug is actually used to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

The reason LDN works is that it generates a 2-300% increase in Endorphins the day after you take it and most people don't get tired during an Endorphin rush.

Two inexpensive supplements worth considering for MS-related fatigue are Alpha Lipoic Acid and Malic Acid

Alpha Lipoic Acid helps your body efficiently turn food energy into cellular energy. It helps prevent cancer and is even in clinical trial now for SPMS as it is believed to prevent myelin damage.

Malic Acid has been shown to effectively reduce fatigue in Fibromyalgia, Psoriasis and CFS patients.

I take all three: LDN, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Malic Acid. 300mg ALA at each meal along with 600mg Malic Acid.

I'm never really tired and havn't so much as taken a nap in five years. A lot of this I accredit to the LDN and you'll need a prescription for that. The ALA and Malic Acid are less than $5 a bottle.

There are a lot of posts about this and perhaps LDN can help you. Not every doc is comfortable prescribing it, but maybe yours would be.

Hope you start feeling better soon,
    Bree

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
      Does anyone find that "rest" ( the answer to fatigue ) really doesn't help much? I don't care what little chore I attempt, I am wiped out. And just resting for awhile does not charge my battery.

I've become useless in the kitchen. Just putting together a salad can knock me down. And that's where I stay. I am so lost to my old self when I did everything fast and got a lot done.

Everything I've read prescribes "rest" for fatigue. But in my case, it rarely works for me.
      Sleep doesn't do me much good, I normally feel my worst when I first wake up actually. I get very stiff and sore laying down.

Comment

Originally posted by bree2013 View Post
        Hi Marti,

It will be rare that you ever find a MSer who takes LDN that complains of fatigue and the drug is actually used to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

The reason LDN works is that it generates a 2-300% increase in Endorphins the day after you take it and most people don't get tired during an Endorphin rush.

Two inexpensive supplements worth considering for MS-related fatigue are Alpha Lipoic Acid and Malic Acid

Alpha Lipoic Acid helps your body efficiently turn food energy into cellular energy. It helps prevent cancer and is even in clinical trial now for SPMS as it is believed to prevent myelin damage.

Malic Acid has been shown to effectively reduce fatigue in Fibromyalgia, Psoriasis and CFS patients.

I take all three: LDN, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Malic Acid. 300mg ALA at each meal along with 600mg Malic Acid.

I'm never really tired and havn't so much as taken a nap in five years. A lot of this I accredit to the LDN and you'll need a prescription for that. The ALA and Malic Acid are less than $5 a bottle.

There are a lot of posts about this and perhaps LDN can help you. Not every doc is comfortable prescribing it, but maybe yours would be.

Bree

Ok.. what is LDN? And what is an endorphin rush? Appreciate the suggestions. I'll look into it.
        Marti

Comment

"Ok.. what is LDN? And what is an endorphin rush?"

low dose naltrexone (LDN), this link will lead you directly to endorphins, http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/endorphins.htm
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
            Ok.. what is LDN? And what is an endorphin rush? Appreciate the suggestions. I'll look into it.

This will sound strange, but here it is. I had my thyroid ablated 3 years ago and ever since I've noticed I have strange reactions to meds, supplements etc. Do any of these you listed have any side effects? Is this endorphin rush something you feel like an adrenalin rush? Hate that. And.. I have a hard time swallowing anything that's very large. Are the supplements small or can they be found in smaller sizes? Thanks.
            Marti

Comment

Originally posted by bree2013 View Post
              Hi Marti,

Bree
              I have tried all the stuff you listed but not at the same time. My neuro. silently wrote a script for LDN as soon as I asked for it..no comment really on his part. LDN didn't help or harm. I eventually dispensed with it.

This regimen described may indeed help, but just reading it made me tired, let alone following through on it. Good luck to the fatigue-ers who are still in the game.
              Tawanda

Comment

Working...
              X