IVSM at home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IVSM at home?

My MD Neuro spec ordered IVSM for 3 days home infusion.
    I 'm a little nervous as this is the 1st IV steroids I've needed.
    The nurse was here ,did the IV - & did the 1st dose.
    Now I do the rest , even take it out when done.

Any one else do IVSM the at home way?
    Tl-Tr3
    DX'07 MS- on Tysabri-

I've had IVSM at home twice. But the Nurse came to my home each day for the infusion.

Way better than the Hospital IMO. No exposure to unnecessary germs or irritating roommates.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm in

I'm in Canada so may be different here. Always do IVSM from home. First dose is done in the hospital, then go home with the IV in, meds (and supplies) are delivered then a nurse comes in once per day to run the meds.

If you're worried about taking the IV out, just ask your nurse to do it after the last dose.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing, good luck.

Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Home Infusion

I had my first home infusion of solu-medrol in 2006. The nurse came and started the IV - she did not stay for the first infusion. The therapy was twice a day for five days (followed by the oral taper). No one came back to remove the IV - thank goodness I have a kid who took it out for me.

I had another 5 day, twice a day, home infusion the following year.

Different doctors ordered the infusions - I was told by the home health agency it was up to my insurance company as to where I had the infusion. I was also told it is usually done at home so when I read here that people go to the hospital, either in-patient or out-patient, I'm surprised.

I had good, and very costly (almost $2000 per month), health insurance at that time.
        I had no problems either time - it just seemed to take forever each time - one hour per infusion but at least I as at home!

Comment

Had my first infusion in the clinic then I did the last two at home myself. Went back to the clinic to have the IV removed. Nothing to it.
          Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
          Babe Ruth

Comment

If I have to do steroids, I greatly prefer to have them at home. The hospital has way too much "hustle & bustle" and 8 gazillion germs you don't need. At home, I can rest on my couch and have the infusion in peace. In my case, the nurse has always come each day to do the infusion. I would have no problems doing the infusions without the nurse.

Comment

clinic

Mine is done at the outpatient clinic at the hospital, but, that is because that is the only way that my neuro will do it.

I have had other iv meds at home. I ran them, but, I am a nurse.

I would say that your insurance company dictates what is covered. But, if you are concerned about running it yourself, you can ask if that is true.
              God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Thanks

Everyone for the replies....
                Seeing some posts that others do this at home helps.
                The only ones on here I've seen are in the hospital.

After the nurse came & started the IV & the first dose was done , I felt better.

Yesterday I did my infusion , with the help of my husband ,went ok- made my vein hurt like hell. I even clamped it off for 10 - 15 minutes to stop the pain & started it again & it ran at 45 minutes instead of an hour . Makes no sense- it should have taken longer.
                One more to go & done - Yay!

Thanks for the support & replies .
                Everyone here is the best
                Tl-Tr3
                DX'07 MS- on Tysabri-

Comment

Give your nurse a call

it shouldn't hurt - ask them to come take a look at your infusion site.

Comment

I have always had them at home, anywhere from 3-5 days.

But it should not hurt when going in. If you feel resistance when pushing the saline, solumedrol, or heparin in, I would stop. I know I was always given a 24/7 call line to use and the nurse would call back.

Hope all went well.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                    X