MRI STRENGTH...HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI STRENGTH...HELP

My doctor is ordering an MRI using an open 1.0 tesla machine. His office contracts out of that particular office and I feel he's getting something out of patients coming there as opposed to a location run by the same company with a 1.5 and 3.0 tesla. Wouldn't a 3.0 tesla or even a closed 1.5 tesla be better than an open 1.0? What the heck if he thinking???

Heck I have no idea, but wanted to compliment you on being such a well-informed patient! Teslas?! Did you study electrical engineering or so something?
    Tawanda

Comment

I tell my neuro where to send my MRI orders, so I don't think you have to go to a specific one. (I have private insurance in the US)

I haven't bothered looking for a 3T machine, but I like to go to the clinic near home so I can walk home. (And I like the techs there)

It's never been a problem. Maybe he thought you wouldn't like the closed one? Who knows. Try asking to do it elsewhere, it can't hurt.

Comment

Typically 1.5T is standard. 1.0 - open usually only done with people who are claustrophobic. The higher the strength the better the quality of images.
        Dx: 2001
        Currently on Tysabri since Dec 2010
        Feel lucky to be doing so well!

Comment

Here's a link with the MRI protocol for MS imagine.

http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_p...-MS-?hp_id=551

Open MRIs are not recommended unless you absolutely can't deal with the closed ones (if you're claustrophobic have them give you valium.)

From the article:

MRI PROTOCOLS for Brain and Spinal Cord

Field Strength: 1.0 Tesla or higher recommended for brain or spinal cord.
          (Note: 1T open ring magnets have an effective field strength of approximately 0.7 Tesla and are
          only recommended when patients can not tolerate the closed magnet).

Comment

After my initial attack and MRI that I had when I was admitted to the hospital, my neuro actually wrote the prescription for the MRIs to be done on a 3T machine.

Thankfully there is one that is convenient for me to get to, so since then I've ONLY gone there.

Like the otheres have said, if you're in the US, you typically have a choice of where to go. If it needs to be preauthorized by your insurance company, call them directly and tell them where you want to have it done.

Given the choice--I'd go for a 3T over the 1T each and every time. Also, the 3T are wide-bore which means that they're bigger than the older 1.5T closed MRI machines.

I would talk to your dr's office and tell them you'd like to go elsewhere.

Comment

The only reason to use an open MRI is if you have crippling claustrophobia. You can absolutely go to whichever imaging center you like -- it's usually best to stay at one place, though, so they have all your records for comparison.

FYI, I use a 1.5T but that's because I have some metal in my body. Otherwise, my neuro prescribes the 3.0T.

Comment

My current and previous MS neuros had a preference for using the same MRI machine at the same mri center, because it made comparing previous films with newer films more consistant, easier to determine lesion activity, etc. Some neuros even had a preference for a particular tech, so MRIs were scheduled to coincide with the tech's work schedule.

That said, I feel pretty confident the MS neuros I've consulted prefer any new technology that will improve the image for evaluating MS activity, lesion changes.

I don't know how many of my neuros may have had a financial interest in the MRI center they chose.

Most Pain Management docs have in house labs that are owned and operated by the PM docs, with lab services billed to the patient for monthly urinalysis.

Comment

I'm blessed to have fallen asleep during am MRI.
                  I don't mind them at all,but than during my 14yrs.w/ this MonSter I've had several.

Comment

Working...
                  X