Fatigue = No life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatigue = No life

How do you have any kind of life with this knock-down, drag-out fatigue that so many of us have?

This particular symptom is getting worse and worse for me and it usually involves some degree of lightheadedness. I haven't found any meds that help and my neuro hasn't really offered any advice.

I swear I could spend the entire day on the couch... doing nothing but watching the minutes tick by until bedtime. I see all the little chores that need to be done, but can't get any energy going to tackle them.

My husband isn't in great shape either so on the few occasions that require driving I'm usually the one who has to do that. Getting dizzy and exhausted while driving is really not recommended. Sometimes we just take turns feeling lousy and flip a coin over who gets to drive.

I realize I have a lot of health issues that cause fatigue. But no matter what is causing it, I need to find a way to fight it.

Do you guys feel like you have lost your life already? Like you just are too tired to live?? Please help me here guys.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Yes I feel like that too, it is hard to get excited over anything or have any enthusiasim to do anything. Sorry I don't have a solution.... I drink energy drinks everyday, sleep as much as I can and try to eat good but I'm still exhausted most the time and in extreme pain.

My issue is I still have goals and in my mind I want to tackle them but I can't, I'm only 28 and I feel like I'm trapped in an old man's body!

MS is hell on earth to say the least...

Comment

I feel the same way. I actually will make all these plans to do things on the weekends, and then once the weekend is here, I end up doing a lot more staying home than I'd planned because I'm too tired to do anything. I also made the mistake of telling a friend I'd take a 4 1/2 hour trip in a couple weeks and I have no idea how I'm going to make the drive. I guess I'll really hope that Adderall kicks in that day.

I just can't believe how quickly this can completely turn your life around. A few years ago, I used to work three 12 hour shifts back to back each week and took call. I'd also go in and work on one of my days off to make some extra money. I did have MS back then too, just undiagnosed, and it never bothered me doing that. My fatigue didn't start to hit me really hard until a few months after I was diagnosed. I still really believe the Avonex has something to do with it in my case, but I'll end up quitting it on my own before I could ever get the stupid PA I'm stuck seeing to change my meds for me.
      Diagnosed 1/4/13
      Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

I think my fatigue is a little different, but I do find taking naps helps. I tend to "pass out" (randomly run out of energy). If I push through, I am barely functional for hours. If I sleep, I can bounce back a little. Of course, that means three hours of naps during the day.

Comment

ME too!

I find the MS fatigue is paralyzing. I hate to commit myself to anything. Sometimes peopld JUST do not GET it!!!!! I sometimes just isolate from it all. And when I DO have a good day.....I don't want it to end.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
          RRMS
          Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Today I actually cried out of frustration and self pity due to fatigue. By noon I was worthless. Usually I'm able to push those feelings away, but yes I do feel like I've lost so much of my life. I'm 46 next month and I only became really comfortable and happy with myself and life in general about ten years ago. Been diagnosed for four years, and the fatigue has taken over this past year.
            Portia

Comment

Thank you all so much. Thirteen years ago I never would have believed that I could feel so tired all the time. In fact, I still can't believe all of this. I keep searching for another reason for all my symptoms. I guess I need to face it and just accept that I really do have MS.

I was recently taken off Copaxone and nothing else was offered. My neuro seems to think my MS is "burning itself out". Well, I guess it burned out and left me totally fatigued. I don't agree with her, but then I have seen some progression in the last couple years. All I can do is try to treat these symptoms and forget about having a life from now on.

I do have various other health issues that are chipping away at me. And, yes, I hesitate to make any plans for the future. I am content to stay at home for the most part. We are in the process of selling the farm and have already purchased another house. So you can imagine the energy that it takes to carry a small box or bag from the door to the car. Yeesh. This is going to be a monumental undertaking. I am grateful to my husband and my kids for their help. It's a little harder to make people understand what we go through on a daily basis.
              Marti

Comment

Have you thought about

getting a second opinion regarding stopping copaxone and not taking any other DMD?
                I understand your fatigue - it's overwhelming. I hope things get better for you.

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
                  getting a second opinion regarding stopping copaxone and not taking any other DMD?
                  I understand your fatigue - it's overwhelming. I hope things get better for you.

Part of the reason we stopped the Copaxone was because I was having repeated reactions of fever and chills. This came on kind of suddenly after taking it for 12 years. I have thought many times about getting a new neuro. The problem is that my insurance only pays for one hospital system and the neuros are all in the same group. They make it hard to switch doctors. I think the office help is trained in being stubborn. I am in a rural area, miles from the city and every other city that has doctors in my system. But, I think I will ask the clinic to try again to switch me to a new doc. Couldn't hurt.
                  Marti

Comment

I went through the same type of feelings a couple years ago. And here is what I found, those people that are your true friends will understand the need for a nap. They will also understand that you have more days that you do not feel well then days that you do feel well. I used to push myself to satisfy everyone. Many times I was so tired that I would have to make sure that I was strapped in to my wheelchair or I would fall out when I fell asleep (which was going to happen sometime soon it seemed like), then I came to the realization that I had to prioritize things, and in doing so I had to avoid doing some of the things that were towards the bottom of the list. Once I did that, I felt a little more energetic.
                    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                    volunteer
                    MS World
                    hunterd@msworld.org
                    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                      I went through the same type of feelings a couple years ago. And here is what I found, those people that are your true friends will understand the need for a nap. They will also understand that you have more days that you do not feel well then days that you do feel well. I used to push myself to satisfy everyone. Many times I was so tired that I would have to make sure that I was strapped in to my wheelchair or I would fall out when I fell asleep (which was going to happen sometime soon it seemed like), then I came to the realization that I had to prioritize things, and in doing so I had to avoid doing some of the things that were towards the bottom of the list. Once I did that, I felt a little more energetic.
                      You speak the truth but it can be tough. My issue is I enjoy solving problems for others, I like to help friends and family out of a jam and I tend to volunteer without thinking!

I find it so hard to judge how long it takes me to accomplish a given task. I'm stuck in the past and keep making plans my body can no longer handle.

Comment

Working...
                      X