C-Reactive Protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C-Reactive Protein

My GP ordered several lab tests including a C-Reactive Protein. The result was high - 4.98. GP says its inflammation due to my MS. Lab report indicates high risk for future cardiovascular event.
    Has anyone else ever had this test and been told it's due to MS when the result is abnormally high?
    Doctor did not give any suggestions to improve this level.

The CRP (C-reactive protein) is just a marker for inflammation, suggesting that something somewhere in the body is inflamed. Unlike cholesterol, where reducing a high level can also reduce one's risk of heart disease, reducing or improving your CRP won't necessarily reduce your risk.

OTOH, if the high CRP is because of an infection or an active auto-immune disease, treating the underlying problem will reduce the CRP.

As for your risk of heart disease, you could discuss with your doctor if he/she feels you are really at increased risk, and talk about other factors you could modify to reduce your risk of heart disease.

Comment

CBC

Am I correct that a CBC would be a good place to look for an infection - elevated WBC? Doctor doesn't order CBCs any longer - for me or anyone in my family.....

Comment

Yes, an elevated white blood cell count, as well as a change in the types of white blood cells present, could indicate an infection

Comment

Working...
        X