Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thinking of moving employment, would love your advice

Hi there

Am considering moving employment as not happy in current employment and trying to decide whether to disclose my diagnosis to the potential new employer. I have known the prospective employer for 10 years and feel that it would be dishonest of me not to tell him. My current employer knows about my condition and it has had minimal impact on my work in the last four years.

My problem is that the two employers are in direct competition with each other and if I leave, a substantial portion of the business will follow me to the other job. Possibly enough to cripple that business. Out of spite and feelings of betrayal, I am convinced that he will disclose the condition to my new employer and I would rather that information come direct from me. My current working conditions are causing a huge amount of stress and stress always initiates my relapses so I feel that for health reasons, this employment would be more suitable.

I would really appreciate your opinions on whether I should tell my new employer and risk him withdrawing the offer. I have not felt this excited about anything since my diagnosis and would really like to avail of this opportunity with the new job. However I feel obliged to start it with a clean slate openly and honestly. All feedback welcome. Thanks in advance :-)

If the offer is in writing and you disclose I bet you could sue their pants off if they rescind it.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Unless there is a requirement for a physical medical exam as a factor in the hiring process, legally, you do not need to disclose. If this is a friend, you are in a tricky spot. If your current employer spills the beans, he could be in BIG trouble and then hey, you won´t feel badly about your clients moving with you. If it helps you, realize that lots of folks have hidden and non-hidden health issues- physical or mental. Smokers, obesity, heart disease, depression, anxiety, alcoholism drug addiction, epilepsy, and so on. Ask yourself if you had one of those if you would feel compelled to disclose. I was already with my current employer when it all fell apart and I did disclose.

Comment

Healthy people have the ability to switch jobs simply for a better salary or parking space. MS patients need to be more selective in changing jobs due to benefit requirements. Looking back, my long-term disability insurance was the most valuable benefit I ever had.

Prior to accepting an employment offer I would ensure they had a good health and disability benefits package. I would request the entire benefits literature and not just the abbreviated versions that HR normally has. I would read line-by-line looking for pre-existing conditions or discharge period clauses.

Comment

Working...
        X