$1,200 for MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Payment Plan

I asked for a payment plan for my echocardiogram (the one the insurance company told me would cost $50) - what they offered I couldn't afford and I told them that - they told me to put it on a credit card which I can't do. Can you get the amount they want for a monthly payment reduced? I wouldn't have had the test done if I was told it would cost what it did.....

Comment

Yes, you can. You just prove your income and they must give you a payment plan to fit your income minus your debt. You just have to keep pushing until you get to the right management. Keep asking for the supervisor. They make it hard on purpose, but it is your right to get an affordable payment for a medical bill.

Good luck, let us know how it goes, OK?

Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

A quick search on the net says that it could be cheaper to fly up to Canada and have an MRI there.
          It could also be cheaper (just) to fly to the UK and have an MRI there (But not in London).
          UK residents are advised that it is cheaper to get an MRI in continental Europe than in UK:

But, the big question is "Why have one anyway?"

Is this for diagnosis?
          OR
          Is this for a check on disease progression?

If it's the latter, then there are other things that will inform a practitioner virtually as well. It does seem to vary depending on who picks up the final tab. The UK is a case of patient pays all, or the state pays all. In France, the patient pays all, and claims most of it back from the state (and can cover the rest with insurance). The US system seems to change with the mood of the insurance company.

So, what do you need an MRI for?

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by pshrink View Post

But, the big question is "Why have one anyway?"

Is this for diagnosis?
            OR
            Is this for a check on disease progression?

So, what do you need an MRI for?

Geoff
            Great question and my personal answer is to try and track major changes that might be occurring in my brain/spine prior to showing physical symptoms**with the plan to change medications if there does appear to be major MRI changes likely indicating disease progression.

The tricky thing, imo, is that once we hit SPMS there are often no changes shown on MRI because we are not in the inflammatory stage so at that point I don't think there is a need for MRIs. The problem is it can be unclear if we have made the change from RRMS to SPMS, imo.

I haven't had a major flare since before starting Copaxone however I do have minor progression. So does that mean the Copaxone is working and keeping this miserable disease at bay or am I now SPMS? I only go about every 18 months despite my Neuro's request I do them yearly.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Thank you 22cyclist

for your advice. I'll call them tomorrow - they wanted $300 per month for 6 months - said that was all they could offer.
              Thanks again!

Comment

I have also been on Copaxone for the past 5-6 years. I'm going in for an MRI today. I don't have what you would call exacerbations, but just a generally worsening of symptoms.

My neuro would just like to see if things in my brain are getting worse since there are 3 other meds out now I could try. Avonex I had more lesions, Rebif I itched, Tysabri I had more lesions and developed neutralizing antibodies, so I've stayed on Copaxone.

We'll see how the cost and results turn out!
                Brenda
                Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Working...
                X