$1,200 for MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$1,200 for MRI

OMG, my share of the MRI cost is $1,200!

I just had to share that with folks who understand. My job changed and my new health insurance apparently stinks. I haven't ever paid more than $100 in the past.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

My sympathy, Jules. Mine is in early August, and the charge to me will be $0 because I've met my out-of-pocket for the year. I've had too many large expenses the past couple weeks; I certainly don't need another! Of course, I do get to start all over again in September!

Comment

my insurance changed too

I'm hoping that I don't get sent for an MRI when I get seen in August because I have no idea what my share would be. My MS seems stable now, maybe she'll wait till next year to order one. That is quite a shock when your cost increases exponentially. Hope you don't get any more unpleasant surprises!

Comment

$$$$

That is insane! I can't imagine having to pay even a quarter of that. I wish I had valuable advice but I don't. I just wanted to express my outrage in solidarity with you
        Dx - Jan 2005
        1st Symptoms - Dec 2004
        Currently treatment - Tefidera (6/14) & LDN (4/09)
        Past treatments: Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Solumedrol IV, Prednisone

Comment

I am lucky to have good insurance through hubby. When MS Neuro orders an MRI it is covered and I pay zero. Will the hospital or NMSS society be able to help you pay this amount?

RRMS 1995, on Gilenya over 2 yrs,

Comment

I normally only get them every 18 months or so just because I don't think they are all that valuable but now I'm thinking I'll probably stretch it out longer next time.

Thanks to all who are commiserating with me!
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

YIKES!!!

Did they tell you that before it was performed? That seems so awful..... I am so sorry for you. That would give me heart palpitations!!
              You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

I feel your pain!

Just got the bill from my first MRI, C-spine without contrast, $567.

After they saw the results of that one (two lesions), they sent me back for T-spine with/without contrast and brain with/without contrast. Haven't gotten the bills for those yet, but I'm totally dreading it.

Comment

That is an incredible amount of money. Just say you wanted to take Tysabri, MRIs every six months (?), I'm guessing your insurer wouldn't be a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by leaftree View Post
                    I feel your pain!

Just got the bill from my first MRI, C-spine without contrast, $567.

After they saw the results of that one (two lesions), they sent me back for T-spine with/without contrast and brain with/without contrast. Haven't gotten the bills for those yet, but I'm totally dreading it.
                    Yes, mine was for brain and spine both with contrast. We are probably going to be in the same ball park.

I didn't even think to ask how much it would cost. I thought it might be a bit more but never imagined it would be that much more. Interestingly enough my Copaxone co-pay is the same so I guess thats a good thing.
                    Anonymous

Comment

That is one heck of a lot for your co-pay! I wonder if you called and asked, would they reduce the charge?

My insurance changed this year also, not even a job change. I had a procedure last month and just received a bill for $680 for anesthesia; it appears the insurance country doesn't want to pay for anesthesia.

It seems a lot of insurers and employers are making employees pay more out of pocket these days. That is especially hard on those with expensive diseases like MS - if it isn't pharmaceuticals it is imaging.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
                        That is one heck of a lot for your co-pay! I wonder if you called and asked, would they reduce the charge?
                        I'm planning to do this with mine once I get all the bills for my MS diagnostic testing. In the span of two months, I'll have had three MRI's, a lumbar puncture, an EEG, and three neurologist appointments. I'm hoping they will take pity on me and reduce the bills, but I know they will at least do a payment plan.

Six months ago, I had to pay over $3,000 out of pocket for an emergency room visit unrelated to MS (stayed overnight and had testing and pain medicine, but no surgery or anything). I can't believe how much medical care costs in this country. If my family wasn't helping me, I don't know how I'd afford things like rent and food.

Comment

I used to work for a hospital and my insurance had a low deductible ($200 one year, $250 the next) and I still got hit with a $1200 MRI bill as well. Now that I've got ACA insurance, my deductible is $1500 and there's no way I'd ever be able to pay for an MRI, so I hope my neuro doesn't want one any time soon.

It's insane what the prices of these tests are. Most normal people can't afford it, and when MS patients need to get these on a regular basis, there's no way to ever get ahead. I know in my case, as soon as one gets paid off, it's time for another.
                          Diagnosed 1/4/13
                          Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

I feel your pain. Until I hit my OoP for the year, that's about what I pay for mine. I have a $1000 deductible & after that, pay 20% of all costs until I hit the $3500 OoP max.

I'm putting alot in my FSA this year; at least that's pretax. It's so hard to predict what costs will be in advance I never know how much to put in FSA, though.1 MRI & I know I'll hit the deductible, but after that it's a crapshoot to guess how much I'll need. Last year my total med bills were in the $20k range, of which I paid $3500.

I'm hoping it goes down now that I've been through the diagnosis tests.

I'm definitely thinking of skipping the MRI next year if I'm stable.

Comment

Thank you for starting this thread. I recently had some bloodwork done and got a bill for $468. I can only imagine what they would want for an MRI.

Haven't had one on this new insurance and this is a good reminder to check it out beforehand.

Comment

Working...
                              X