Going to Start STD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to Start STD?

I have STD through my work. I am going to advise my job I can no longer do my job and go out on this. I have an appt with my neuro and oncologist within the next two weeks. One of my bosses is going on vacation and then retiring end of August.

I told him about my plan and he thinks it's great but advised me NOT to tell the others until I see my neuro and tell HIM what my plan is. My symptoms have worsened and know that he will go with me on this. I really cannot do this work anymore.

Anyone agree, disagree? Feedback at all? Guess I am just starting to freak as I have always worked! Getting scared as I have a 16 yo son and live in NYC. I am also alone as his dad passed 4 years ago.

Agree with your boss, make sure you have you doctors support. I had no trouble with STD. I had neuro support.

Are you planning on going back at some point or were you filing for SSDI and/ or LTD? If plan on filing for either of these, you may want a lawyer to assist. SSDI denials for 1st time applications is running pretty high, many LTD company policies deny 1st time as well. Since you are financial source and I assume healthcare benefits, you definitely will want to understand next steps so you are not blindsided by how the system works. You nay have no issues getting approved, but it is better to have eyes wide open going into it.

Good luck.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

FYI

Typically, STD has no pre-existing condition exclusion. STD coverage can be for a period of 6-12 months, depending on the policy.

However, if you file for STD before meeting the LTD 2yr limitation on pre-existing condition exclusion, your LTD claim will likely be denied, even if approved for STD.

Comment

Thank you for the answers all. I do not plan on returning as my memory is totally shot and I have a fear of forgetting something regarding a medication or some medical issue concerning a patient.
        I have my appointment next week with my neuro whom I am sure will back me up on this. I still have to have my appt at his request with a neuro opthalmolgist (couldn't get until September) and my MRI which has been approved. Trying to get both on same day or I can see neuro first and then have MRI and get verbal regarding MRI. I mean it is what it is. I
        hate the thought of leaving work but cannot continue this way. Have been here over 30 years! It really does scare me and is causing anxiety.
        I still have my 16 yo to raise.

Comment

I am actually going to try for SSDI after my STD is put into action. I have never thought about this and it's all so confusing. I will probably take the advice of hiring an attny.
          Thought I would work forever! Life took me on another road.

Comment

Have tried to get my neuro to contact me so I can verify he has my back on the STD. Have not heard back from him even after multiple tries. Oh well....

I have an appt with a discrimination attny as they will be putting me part time this Friday which means no vacation, loss of insurance etc. They are stating that because one boss is retiring, but this is a multiple location business and I am the highest paid. So it's all smoke and clouds with them.

Appt is this Thursday. Wish me luck!~

Comment

My employer did not offer std, so I don't know anything about that. My ltd was approved automatically after being approved for SSDI.

Wondering
              If you do not plan to return to work, what is your reason for applying for std rather than just SSDI and ltd?

~ Faith
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I wanted to get STD before applying for LTD/SSDI. i don't have the luxury of waiting without any money coming in until I get approved. I have a 16 yo son to raise alone and I am doing my best for us both.
                Am really getting p.o.'d that the neuro hasn't called me back in 2 wks. He also knows the deal but I think because some of the partners work with other physicians in same hospital that he is avoiding me.
                I obviously cannot claim for the STD through work when they are trying to get rid of me.
                TG I have appt with attny's Thursday against my job.

Comment

Ok, so I never heard back from my neuro to see if he will back me up for the STD. Now that choice is gone as I am now on part time and all my benefits went with it. Really pissed.

I went to a dicrimination attorney yesterday and things are looking pretty good for me. I truly feel that because of my disabilities, they are trying to get rid of me as a full time employee.

Oh well, will have to take one day at a time.

Comment

Best wishes, Moz, in working things out with the assistance of a disability attorney. Meanwhile, please begin application for SSDI asap. There is a 5 month waiting period, after your application, before you are able to collect.

If you are fortunate enough to be approved prior to that waiting period is over, payments can begin right away.

In my experience, the disability attorney that I consulted with had no interest in taking my case until I had applied on my own and been denied. So, you may wish to start with that.

MS is not unusual to be approved for disability, and I suspect that having to go to part time will be in your favor. (Did your employer place you on part time, or was that per your request?)

~ Faith
                    P.S.: My employer "did not renew my contract" after I applied for FMLA for the 3rd year in a row. I suspect that also helped my case. I was ticked off at the time, and I didn't enjoy the 5 months with no income, but I was approved in 3 months with no denials and no attorneys.
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you for your reply mamabug.

It was my employer that placed me on part time etc. At least I was getting something to survive on for me and my son.

It was my understanding that you cannot apply while still working as little as it is. Now I will have to depend on others namely my cousin, brother and mother to help me and my son just to survive. At this point, I have no interest in working where I am either.

I also had an appt with an neuro opthalmologist which I will have to cancel since he is not on this clown insurance I had to take. New 3 g deductible just for me and costing me over 200. mth.!

The attorney is taking my case, very up front about not being a flipper of cases and was recommended by another firm dealing with WTC suits. Just trying to get all together and keep my son (16yo) going. He is so pissed with me for the predicament we are in. Depressing to say the least. I am waiting for money to pay the attorney to get him started on this. Hope my job will rather give me a settlement rather than fight an expensive case.

Talk about one step at a time!!!!

Comment

If you are earning less than than SSDI maximum (somewhere between $1000-$1100 per month, I think), and your disability is expected to last a year or more (ie: you wouldn't be able to earn more than that amount), my understanding is that you are could apply.

I'm glad you are looking into the disability. I would also continue to encourage you to pursue beginning an SSDI application. Probably on your own (because, as I said, that is likely what an SSDI attorney will require first). You may wish to go for a free consultation with a disability attorney first.

You can also request assistance from Rich Feingold on his board here at MSWorld. He is available, as well, to represent clients all over the country, even though he is located in Chicago.

I hope your discrimination suit works out. I wonder, in retrospect, if I could have filed one, but, I kind of don't think so, as Kansas is a "right to work" state and I think our HR director was in pretty close contact with their attorney to cover himself.

~ Faith
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Once again, thank you for the help and answers Mamabug.

You are allowed to work and collect 1,075.00 per mth while on SSDI. Don't think this extends prior to approval of SSDI. Actually trying not to walk in front of a bus!

Somebody told me about emergency SS which I will try to check up on that.

I have worked my whole life and now down to this. So disappointing in very way. Next stop cardboard box.

Comment

Although I agree that it isn't a hard and fast rule for prior to approval, I truly do believe that it's a standard they look at and consider.

Please contact a disability attorney. Consultations should be free. You can ask those questions and get a knowledgeable answer. It would be sad if you did not apply if you had mistaken information. Applying now, even if you get a denial, may also be helpful in the future as documentation that you had concerns this early.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. This advice, although not coming with someone with any legal expertise, is coming from:
                            1. someone with a successful SSDI approval (within 3 months of application, without an attorney's assistance or a denial),
                            2. and someone who has been an MSWorld member for 8 years and a moderator for 2 years.
                            3. someone with 14 years of MS experience,

Not an expert at all, but, I definitely want to pass on what I believe has been valuable experience.

I do apologize, though, for tooting my own horn. But, you have nothing to lose, IMO, by applying. (That could be a question, though, that you also ask an attorney during a consultation.)

~ Faith
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Private School Financial Assistance for tuition

moz, so sorry to hear about the circumstances you've found yourself in after a lifetime of employment and hard work in the medical profession?

I recall you mentioned in a previous post/thread that your child is in private school and your concerns about tuition costs. My young child was in private Episcopal school when I was dx, so I do understand your concern.

FYI most private schools participate in a 'private school association' that among other services, provides financial assistance, based on financial need, which could be assistance equal to full tuition, enrollment fees, etc.

If there's a former spouse involved, you may find it necessary to appeal existing child support agreement. In either case, your child's school will probably agree to some temporary assistance until a family court decission or your portion of tuition qualifies for assistance via the Association of Private Schools.

Contact the Headmaster of your child's private school for appointment to discuss info about possible qualification for financial assistance.

I hope you filed for FMLA before your reduced hours/PT status went into effect.

Very best of luck and do keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X