"disabled"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"disabled"?

Our condenser is broken at work. I got an evaporative cooling vest and actually only put a sports bra underneath. Lots of people are like let her go home, there's nothing to do, my classroom is spotless. I just feel nauseated and a little weak, it is over 97 degrees in the building.

My boss came in and asked if I considered myself disabled. I said I had an adverse heath circumstance I was dealing with aggressively and not bothering anyone with. I bought my own box fan. I know he's not allowed to ask me that, he's a pretty nice guy and wasn't veiling a threat or anything, and probably did so out of concern and ignorance.

I really haven't attached that word to myself. I still seem more intelligent than a lot of people I work with. I walk normally. I'm less than I was and I hate it, but probably so is the aide that comes in who thinks nobody knows she's drunk, or the 200 lb guy down the hall. I don't think of them as disabled either, probably first to be consumed by a pride of lions just like myself but able to operate in society with little problem.

I always said if I became disabled I wouldn't really care if someone "put the person before the disorder" or called me crippled, semantics would be the least of my problem. It's just, am I in that category now?

This may be the reason why in some Politically Correct circles, the term is "differently abled" rather than "disabled."

Somewhere along the way I recall learning a definition of "disabled" as being unable to participate in one or more basic "ADL's" - activities of daily living. Being able to earn a living is an ADL, but since you are able to do your job (using the "reasonable accommodation" of a cooling vest and a fan), you are not disabled in that sense.

If the drunken aide is an alcoholic, she has an illness, and it may be disabling her if she cannot perform her job because of this; I don't know of a "reasonable accommodation" for intoxication. As for the fat guy (oh, that is probably not PC!), "it depends" on his job.

So it's an interesting question: Who, or what, is disabled anyway?

I've wondered about this because my leg is weak, but since my job doesn't involve a lot of walking, I am not really disabled, am I? I used to love to hike in the mountains or to spend all day out in the sun at the beach, but I can't do those things any more. Like you, I am less than I was and I hate that, but am I disabled?

Quite possibly in your situation your boss asked the question only because some law or regulation would allow you to go home from work on paid leave due to "disability" when it's too hot in the workplace, due to fault of the employer (broken condenser).

Comment

This is not an official definition. But, to me, being disabled simply means having a permanent condition that limits my abilities.

I think that applying for, and being approved for SSDI made the acceptance of the label easy for me.

Are you in that category now?

idk. I guess it depends on how YOU define disabled.
      And, do you consider yourself to fit that definition.

And, how it affects your emotions.

"DISABLED":
      I actually embrace the label.
      It gives me "permission"
      to say NO
      to activities that are now difficult for me.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I am newly dx'd.

I have accepted the label, "disabled" at my workplace because the nature of my work (I'm a chemist) requires disclosure for safety reasons.

I was devastated at first. Now I realize that it is Protection! They can see you are not "well" being "disabled" gives you protection for your job. I make this point because your boss asked the question. If you say yes and can prove it, the protection is yours.

You can't always perform like everyone else because you have a disease that is NOT self inflicted. That's a disability in my pov (unlike alcoholism or drug addition which are equally diseases and need treatment and can be CURED! which is not a disability).

If you don't like the word, pick another.

I hope you find peace of mind.

Comment

adverse health oocurance

I like them words that you usee. Go with it.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Yep, I am a person with a disability (or three).

Remember "A Christmas Carol", and poor little Timmy (think he had polio)? I call myself "Little Crippled Timmy", because I am.

Or Joan of Arc.

Comment

Mamabug said that with so much class. I agree with everything she said.

Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
              RRMS
              Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Thanks for your kind words Susie Q.

~ Faith
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                X