Trying To Hang In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying To Hang In

I have worked in medical field as an xray tech and then endoscopy tech and med tech. Have worn a lot of hats in my days. Now with the dx of MS and lung ca, it's getting harder and harder. My problem is I am trying my best to hang in as I have my appts and meds set up for this month. Just want to make sure my MS doctor knows what has been going on since I saw him. My lung ca is good. Just had my latest lung ca last mth. Now it's the neuro.
    Doing my best and trying to survive. My job has STD which I will apply for until I can get the SSDI. I am worried about my meds etc. Of course I have anxiety and am worrying about this stuff although hopefully, I don't have to. i also have my 16 yo son to worry about.

Hi, Trying to hang in there as best you can is probably what most of us did. I was able to work for 8 yrs after my DX, but it realistically got to a point where I just couldn't do it anymore.

I hope that your neuro will work with you to get the STD and/or SSDI. It is important to have their support during this time.

I can't even imagine the stress though having a young son, my boys were all grown up, but we still worry about family, home and like you said meds and all the other good health related stuff.

I wish you well on this journey. There will be good days and some not so good. But one thing I have learned through these years, is that people with MS are some of the strongest and determined that I have ever met.

Please keep us posted. We will be here to support you and lend a shoulder when you need it. Good Luck.

Comment

Thank you Kitop. Just prior to all of this starting, my husband passed away in front of me. Well he collapsed and lived on machines another mth before passing. I had my first symptom the day after he collapsed but didn't go for work up as I just thought he fell on me and pulled a muscle. So much went on after his death. His family took everything as I had told my husband they would. (They didn't let me down) Lost our home among other things. Our son was 12 yo. My list just continues. Then I was diagnosed with MS AND lung cancer two years later when I could finally look after myself. Had my treatments and surgery. Doing my follow up as instructed. Oi, never ends for me.

Comment

Lucky to have access to STD through work. I think I may just have to do this. In meantime, since I have appts set up already with neuro and MRI of head this month, I will just go ahead and get these done. I also have my oncology appt follow up this month. May just wait until all of these are done and I can hopefully relax a bit and wait for the next onslaught of whatever is in store for me. Don't want to say anything just yet to find out more but of course worry about my insurance etc when I do apply.

Comment

No changes with my MRI but am now in a pseudo flare as my neuro called it due to stress. I need to continue to work though as some may know, I do have my son to raise minus his dad. Dad SS check for him goes directly to his school.
          My job put me down to 20 hrs wk and lost all benefits including healthcare, vacations etc due to as they say a number of reasons. All are bs. I do have a lawsuit pending. They are well aware of my lung ca diagnosis and MS. We are in healthcare too! Imagine no empathy for your faithful employees?
          I have been here over 30 years and they are growing like weeds in this place while they are cutting back on their employees. SMH
          They have me where they want me right now and I cannot even pay my rent on what I make a month now.
          Ugh...

Comment

I do have a 401k through work which I possibly can take disbursements out of but need to find out if I can without tax penalty etc. I live in NYS which I am sure makes a difference.

One of these days I am going to collapse right here in the office. Maybe then they will take me seriously around here. They won't let me go because of a possible lawsuit which I have pending anyway. 30 years gone- poof

My question is if I can no longer do this and do collapse, then can I apply for 401k disbursements without AND be on workmans comp? I am so confused as to what to do. STD leaves me with even less! Can't afford NYC rent as it is!! Would be homeless if weren't for my family but can't keep doing this to them. Any advice?

Comment

Glad that you are planning to apply for STD and SSDI. Sad, when we get to this point, but, when we're there, the income, and being able to choose to not be employed can be such a blessing.

Is good to be able to stay home when needed, and to take care of our health, and choose what to do with the rest of our time.

Please keep us posted how things work out for you.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks Mamabug.

Trying so hard to, at same time, at least support myself and son without having my family do this. My mom is on SS and I don't have any money in the bank. My rent isn't even covered by the few hours my once profitable job has given me. So not worth the dragging myself in and trying to remember my patients etc. My job knows all about this and still refusing to let me go now even though they are saying they are letting me go in May. I am not continuing that crap obama healthcare as I can't afford it. Seem they think I am rich I guess.

The only thing I have is my 401K. I have already taken loan against that and cannot take anymore or so they tell me. I am so friggin confused, esp with this MS!

Comment

A lot of times, 401k plans allow only one loan active at a time. Not to add to your stress, but once you are no longer employed, the loan may need to be repaid or you may owe tax penalty on balance, as they classify it as early withdrawal. I just don't want you to be surprised. I believe some plans allow for hardship withdrawals, but believe still taxed. I would send letter to person who manages the plan and ask for plan information. If you don't get it, call the financial institution and see if you can get that way.

Whike I am no expert, if you are on workers compensation, you are still an employee and benefits can't be terminated. If you are fired or let go while on work comp, that opens a whole other can of worms.

I know you have been thru a lot. If your attorney is an ERISA attorney, he may be able to help with other questions

Good luck to you. Hope you feel better soon.
                  Kathy
                  DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Moz --

Perhaps you can contact your local National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

They may have either a staff person or a volunteer who can help you to sort out those confusing details, and help you figure out what your various options are

Then, maybe, you'll be ready to choose a path and a strategy that works for you.
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Once again, thanks Mamabug.

That was on my list to do today but of course I needed to sort some things out with IRS for my sons tuition financial aid. Wasn't able to even to that. Get to work and my sons insurance called for reinstating his insurance. Ugh. Told them I cannot go to their location as have no idea where it is. Definitely not local for me. She will get someone else assigned for me.

Who knows what will happen in the meantime. Fingers crossed or I will have to start street walking.

Comment

Yup. Fingers crossed.
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Just wanted to acknowledge your insight and thank you once again. Sometimes I feel like I am never going to get straightened out. Seems to just hit brick walls each and every way I turn.

I did get two numbers which I need to call tomorrow when I am off. So maybe I can seek assistance for paying my healthcare. Otherwise, I will go off all my meds and not go to doctors if I can help it. Can't see the reason to pay 300 mth with a 6 g deductible.

As I told the MS Society, they are beating a dead horse here and eventually the horse if gonna drop. They do not want to let me go as they are playing games and even with the labor dept, for unemployment, I work enough days not to get it usually. I was wondering since this place is causing a pseudo flare, if I quit would I be eligible for unemployment then. So much red tape, they want you to give up. Well, I am not!

With this MS, I am all over the road with my thoughts. Sorry folks.

Comment

Sorry to hear. I don't believe you can collect unemployment if you quit. I think your employer would have to agree. I really would ask your lawyer a few basis. questions. If he is ERISA attorney, he/she should be familiar with employer law, including Work comp and unemoyment.

I really am sorry to hear the stress you are under. I am so frustrated for you.

Keep us posted.
                            Kathy
                            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

And, collecting unemployment may not be in your best interests, long term.

You would probably be less likely to be approved for SSDI if you collect unemployment. In order to collect unemployment, you need to be actively seeking work, and that may imply that you are not disabled.
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X