Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was that word??? Nope, that wasn't it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was that word??? Nope, that wasn't it!

I'm not sure if this is MS related or not.

It seems that my mouth moves faster than my brain and I keep saying things that are not right. Its mostly just words but I said taco instead of spaghetti this morning. I was actually looking at the spaghetti so there was no reason to say taco. This happens several times a day and is starting to bother me. Yesterday I told my daughter she needed to clean up her paint. I meant for her to clear her dishes from the table. I said, "brush the light" when I meant for them to go brush teeth. Sometimes I know as soon as I say it but other times it takes a few seconds for the right word or phrase to come to me. Sometimes I don't even know that I've said something wrong until they look at me like I have 2 heads.

Should I be concerned?

Hard to say about being concerned, you know yourself best. I personally have the wrong words coming out all the time, and my pronunciation is often wrong. This isn't really like the old me. I believe that the processing that is going on in the brain might be taking a detour.

Comment

No. I would not be concerned. This was actually the second MS system that manifested itself within me.

I do it all the time and if someone knows how to help correct it...I sure would like some tips!
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I would not be afraid, but I would ask my doctor for an evaluation. Request a speech therapy evaluation from your GP or your neurologist. The speech therapist will evaluate you and come up with suggestions to improve your situation. A more comprehensive cognitive examination would be conducted by a neuropsychologist if your doctor and insurance would agree. Many insurance companies don't want to pay for neuropysch examinations, but I am glad I had one. One of the things they discovered was my breathing becomes erratic under stress and then other things start going down hill. I have breathing exercises to do that help and also reduce my stress level.

There are endless games here at MSWorld and other places to give your brain a workout. Doing crosswords, seek-n-find, fixing jigsaw puzzles are all ways to improve your cognition. Learning a new language is also reported to be good for your brain. I wish you well ...

Comment

from the peanut gallery

No, not to worry. However, to relieve your stress agree with others re have doc check you out.

Note: this is the 2nd most irksome thing of MS to me the 1st being my heat issue look up trapped post recently fyi.

I describe it as follows: like a railroad track with two of the trestles removed and the nerve fibers are trying to JUMP over to send the image of the word for you to speak to the other side.
          Sometimes it makes it and sometimes it doesn't or swaps in the air while jump and comes out the other side in a totally different form of word. This has been going on for yrs with me and lately is actually worse. I just consider myself luck it doesn't turn into another language like French or Arabic while up in the air can you imagine the two headed looks then?

Tell family and friends to be ready to jump in like charades and put in the word FOR YOU! ha ha ha Note: that can also become annoying. I'm just happen I can still actually speak as cousin had ALS and with that you soon can't. Yes I do try to see the glass 1/2 full except when the MS causes blurred vision which in my case if often lately.

Suggest you turn it into humor as that is my only saving grace, however note I do not have to work in the outside work force where you would not be able to get away with lots of that.

Comment

I tend to think, that, because MS is neurological, and the brain controls everything, the any symptom could be related to MS.

I also don't believe that everything that could be related to MS is.

That being said, I agree with the other posters that suggested talking with your doc, and maybe getting an evaluation.

~ Faith
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
            X