Pseudo exacerbation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pseudo exacerbation

So that was a new word for me. On May 11th I felt like I was getting the flu. Got up to go to the bathroom and my legs gave out. We had to call 911-non emergency, my husband couldn't lift me. We live on second floor, I use a chair lift but I just couldn't get on it. At the emergency the said I had an urinary tract infection. I had them contact my MS doctor. They admitted me and I had 3 days of IV antibiotics. My MS doctor came first thing Monday morning and said "Good news- you had a pseudo exacerbation. It's not your MS!"

Because I had the UTI my body reacted by making me think it was an MS attack.

The only thing I had during the week before was a backache. I thought it was because I had been lifting and moving things, getting ready for a rummage sale. No burning. I've never had an UTI.

I'm not back to full strength as far as my "normal" is but I sure did learn some things the hard way!!

Any one else have this kind of experience?

Toot
    toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
    Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

UTIs can be wicked.

They are very common in older people who can become quite confused and combative as a result.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Ya, I recently had my first experience with heat and a 'pseudo-relapse' as the docs call it from my experience. Pseudo just means fake. Stress causes pseudo-exacerbations too I guess?

We're on the internet which is full of pseudo-intellectuals and snake oil salesmen
      Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
      Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

Comment

I noticed on Amazon while I was browsing for things to pee in inside my car that they make UTI test strips. This would definitely save me trips to the doctors, do they work? They're cheap enough.

Comment

Originally posted by dyin_myelin View Post
          I noticed on Amazon while I was browsing for things to pee in inside my car that they make UTI test strips. This would definitely save me trips to the doctors, do they work? They're cheap enough.
          I always keep test strips on hand. They're cheap (about $15 for 100.) I buy the 10 parameter test strips off Amazon. If you buy the brand at the local drug store, you end up paying $10 for 3 strips. They work very well, and for us MSers who sometimes have trouble knowing when we have a UTI, I think they're a great thing to have around.

As to your pseudoexacerbation, UTIs can really mess with your MS symptoms. I have a baclofen pump, and when I feel like my symptoms are worse and get into see the physiatrist, the first question they ask is "Could you have a UTI, have you tested." I always have, but they have the strips in the physiatrist office, and if you haven't been tested, they run a urine dip stick because there's no need to increase the pump dosage if the increased spasticity is actually being caused by a UTI.

But here's the deal with a UTI, a test strip will tell you, if you have a UTI or not...but they won't let you know what bacteria is causing the UTI. And that's important, so if you do find you have a UTI, make sure the doctor you see runs a culture. They may start you on an antibiotic, but when the culture comes back (about 3 days) they'll know if it's the right antibiotic.

My urologist recommends having UTI test strips, some sterile cups, and some BZK towlettes (which are the cleaning strips you use before you take a specimen.) Their office will let you just drop off a sample to test and send off for a culture without having to see the doctor...that's very convenient. But on a weekend, I go to a walk in to make sure I get a culture.

I've never had a reasonable explanation why UTI's don't present with normal symptoms in MS patients...but I know from experience, that they do.

Comment

Hi Toot,

Causes of pseudo exacerbations are UTI/infections, the flu, a virus, getting over heated, and overdoing it.

Pseudo exacerbations cause a temporary increase in symptoms. Once the flu, virus, infection has resolved the person usually sees their symptoms go back to what is normal for them.

The case is also true for pseudo exacerbations caused by over doing it or getting over heated. Once the person has time to rest and cool down MS symptoms go back to what is normal for that person.

Any one else have this kind of experience?
            Yes, many times through the years.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to look into the test strips.

It was not a fun thing I want to repeat! Went to Mayo Clinic web page to get info on UTI so I know more of what to watch for.

Thanks again,

Toot
              toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
              Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Comment

Working...
              X