No announcement yet.

Driving Advice - please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow up on my golf cart. First of all it didn't cost me too much cause I bought a used one from the company that imports them here so it was in top condition but much cheaper. I also got an organization to pick up part of the bill. So overall it wasn't such a huge expense.

But about the cart. I really don't love it as much as I claim to. It's a little stressful to drive. It doesn't handle bumpy streets so well so. If I drive on the sidewalk the sidewalks are pretty bumpy here. I can drive in the street but not during high traffic time since our streets are skinny. I have to lower the speed for every speed bump. And I need good weather. If it's cool out my hair blows like crazy. My skirt blows up. And I'm cold. In the warm weather I think I'll have big heat problems. Rain - forget it. So it's better than nothing but it hasn't taken away my MS . I tell everyone that I love it (I'm always a positive person) but it's not like driving a car.
    Dx 1/86 at age 23
    Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
    Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Thank you rdmc! Finally a word to describe what seems to be going on. I live in the country. I know I should not be driving but no one else to do it. My drs are at least 20miles away. Stores at the same. Except for one and I can't afford them. I get so stressed I have a death grip on steering wheel and I start getting sleepy! My radio does not work to keep me awake.

Its a 98 ford ranger that is hard for me to get into. I can't take my rolator because I can't lift it in and out of truck bed. It doesn't fit inside of truck. My legs get really weak so my rt leg gets to painful. I get lost easily so I never get off beaten path. A couple weeks ago I forgot how to get to my drs office!

I cancel a lot of appointments for this reason. If I'm home I don't need assistance. But in any open area I use 2 canes because I feel disoriented.

I told my family yes ago that when I could not drive myself anymore I don't want to live.

Anyone contemplating suicide, even if only for an instant, or anytime in the future, should call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 Professionals that can help are available 24/7. PLEASE call! It's free and 100% confidential
      Last edited by Kimba22; 05-05-2015, 03:13 PM.
      Sissy

Comment

Oh my Sissy. I don't think you should drive and you know it too but

I told my family yes ago that when I could not drive myself anymore I don't want to live.
        You don't mean that, right? Do you live alone? Does your family live near you? I wouldn't give up living just cause I can't get to the store, especially since it's hard once I'm there too. Do you have neighbors who can take you shopping with them or do some shopping for you? If you have a neighbor who can take you along it can actually be a pleasant outing. a chance to get out and socialize.

Well I don't know you and really don't know your personal situation but your post got me worried for you. Please look into solutions for your situation. There's always a solution.
        Dx 1/86 at age 23
        Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
        Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

I have no problem driving myself, except for pain and spasms if I am in a car too long, but my mother stopped driving for no other reason than she slowly started getting scared of driving. She did not have a physical problem, but said she was just scared of driving and had no confidence. She did not enjoy being a passenger either and preferred the back seat and this is after decades of driving. I guess wanting to drive isn't always a matter of physical disabilities.

Comment

If you really don't want to drive, don't. I lived in Israel for a year and found driving pretty crazy there. I don't blame you for wanting to give it up.

If you do want the independence, it's a good way to get around. They have good buses in Israel, too.

The way I look at driving. It's like a giant motorized wheelchair. Since I can't walk, it feels great to get up and go. I hope your classes go well so you can continue.

Comment

Working...
            X