Exercise, Balance Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise, Balance Ball

I want to get a balance ball to help with core strengthening and balance, but I don't know much about them.

I know the size I need, but that's about it.

Anyone have any experience with this equipment? Should I get one with or without sand?

Any advise would be appreciated.
    Echo
    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

with

I would buy one with sand.

The sand keeps it from rolling away from you when attempting to sit on it.

It does not add a tremendous amount of weight to it. You can still move it fairly easy.

There are tons of exercises to do on it, besides just sitting on it to strengthen core muscles.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Thank you for the reply! Sand sounds like a good thing. I am pretty unstable all by myself, so I don't need my 'seat' sliding out from under me.

I plan on searching the Internet for exercises and uses.

Thanks again, Mary
      Echo

Comment

I substituted a ball for a chair in an area where I can't fall. Love it.

Comment

You really need to be "fitted" for the right size because the ball size is dependent on you height and leg length. A pt could help with this. Unfortunately, my ball didn't help me.
          I hope you are more successful.

Comment

when I was in PT, the therapist had me use the ball in a doorway and there were built in stoppers so that you really had to make an effort to fall off the ball. I would bet you could do this at home with a couple fairly inexpensive pieces of lumber.
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

mats

mats, such as a yoga mat, too, can help the slippery part of the ball. when it is on a yoga type mat, it slows that down.

A ball offers more core workout then a chair does. There are plenty of core exercises on a chair, too.
              God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I keep one at my desk at work. I try to remember to sit on it occasionally rather than my usual chair.
                Brenda
                Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

PT told me what size ball to get, so I got that and am working on the core exercises daily.

Hopefully things will get stronger.

Thanks everyone.
                  Echo

Comment

Great exercise tool, I unfortunately decided to try one and not take the time to make sure I wasn't near anything or that it was the right size so I lost my balance.

I was on the wrong size ball, it slipped, fell backward and cracked my head open on the corner of a stone fireplace. Oh and this was on New Years Eve and I didn't even have anything to drink.

Since then I won't even look at those things, I have to chuckle because my 80+ year old mom will sit on them, not me, no way.

Comment

Originally posted by GracieBH View Post
                      Great exercise tool, I unfortunately decided to try one and not take the time to make sure I wasn't near anything or that it was the right size so I lost my balance.

I was on the wrong size ball, it slipped, fell backward and cracked my head open on the corner of a stone fireplace. Oh and this was on New Years Eve and I didn't even have anything to drink.

Since then I won't even look at those things, I have to chuckle because my 80+ year old mom will sit on them, not me, no way.
                      Oh...I am glad you are OK! That is horrible. I use an exercise ball...have not fallen off yet, but I will now make sure I use it in a place that will guarantee a soft landing.
                      Katie
                      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                      "My MS is a Journey for One."
                      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                      X