MRI for diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI for diagnosis

Just a question about relying mainly on MRI change for diagnosis... I have had 3 MRI in the last year, one showed insignificant changes from the first and the latest showed no change to lesions etc.

My neuro has made diagnosis of migraine based on nil change in latest MRI, is this normal? He has been wavering between the two for some time.

Thanks

There is no single test, by it's self, which can rule in/out MS. Other causes for a patients symptoms needs to be ruled in/out.

The diagnostic criteria for MS (The McDonald Criteria) relies heavily on the MRI. There is other testing that can be done (VEP, Lumbar Puncture) which can help support a diagnosis of MS if positive.

Unfortunately, there are many things that can cause a brain MRI to show anomalies, one of which is headaches/migraines.

Best wishes in your diagnostic journey.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you, I have had LP but it's negative, so guess I just wait and see if things change, my dr did so I could have another LP done if I wanted, but would it be any different a year after my first?

What are VEP etc?

Thanks

Comment

Visual Evoked Potentials. A vision test that shows the response of brain to the info from the eye. Or something like that. Someone here can give you a better explanation than I. Maybe a VEP thread?

My MRI lead to a load of blood tests, an abnormal VEP, and a positive LP. No mistaking here.

Comment

I have had bloods, EEG, lumbar puncture, three MRI, now to start another beta locker in hope it fixes headaches etc.

I have never heard of Vep and am wondering how I would get that tested easily in New Zeland.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X