MS causing tremors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS causing tremors?

My doc has now informed me that I have what is called essential tremors. I have constant trembling of my hands and most days I can feel it throughout my whole body. Has anyone else had experience with this? Where you prescribed any medication that helped? Would a muscle relaxer help? It can be very debilitating and it is really making my everyday activities very difficult. I am very discouraged!!
    RRMS diagnosed 10/2011
    Rebif since 2012, Vitamin D 4000IU

Originally posted by ruthr923 View Post
    My doc has now informed me that I have what is called essential tremors. I have constant trembling of my hands and most days I can feel it throughout my whole body. Has anyone else had experience with this? Where you prescribed any medication that helped? Would a muscle relaxer help? It can be very debilitating and it is really making my everyday activities very difficult. I am very discouraged!!
    Hi ruthr923 I also have what I think are tremors but mostly in my thighs, legs and like core/lowerback area. I have brought it up with my Dr but they just say theyre muscle twitches or spams I guess. But I get twitches in my arms and shoulders but the ones in my lower body feel different. Only meds I take besides copaxone are klonopin for my dizziness which isn't really working anymore and baclofen which also doesn't really help. But everyone reacts different to meds

Comment

Short answer is no.

About 50% of essential tremors are genetic and they are called familial tremors. It is a separate Neurological Condition that is pretty much benign. But it can be embarrassing and make you clumsy. The other 50% who do not have the genetic component...they don't know what causes it, but it is common in people without MS.

My entire family has essential tremors. I was the only one to have them as a child. Imagine that. 8 year old who had to be pulled out of gym class...long story and kids are mean. I was put on a beta blocker called Inderal. It pretty much stopped the tremors. I have not had the tremors since I was about 15.

Even though I have not had the tremors so far during my adult life...most of my family has. And I might or might not have to deal with them again in the future. You need to discuss with your Neuro about going on meds if the hand tremor is bad or your head is shaking.

Good Luck.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi ruthr923,

My tremors vary in how I am affected. I tend to fit into all three categories (not at the same time) that you will find listed on the NMSS website.

Most common for me is intention tremors. My hands have a very fine tremor which becomes more noticeable when trying to do something such as putting on nail polish, trying to pay for something, writing, and using eating utensils.

However, I will experience internal shaking. Unlike the intention tremors which are visible the internal shaking is not visible, I simply feel it throughout my body.

Both types of tremors I can experience whether I am at rest or active.

I tend to use the least amount of medications as possible so the only medication I have that will help with tremors when they make me feel like I am going crazy, is Klonopin (Clonazepam).

Information about tremors from the NMSS:
        http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...ymptoms/Tremor

Information about tremors related and not related to MS:
        http://www.ccjm.org/content/78/12/821.full
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by ruthr923 View Post
          Ask your doctor for medication to help you deal with the tremor. Beta blockers, as someone noted, are the med they usually start with. I'm sort of surprised he/she didn't put you on it when the diagnosis was made.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your responses!! I am already on a beta blocker...I've been on it for a while now due to a heart arrhythmia. I have an appt with my neuro coming up this week so I will try to address it with him again.

I was just wondering if anyone else has taken anything for it that might have helped them.
            RRMS diagnosed 10/2011
            Rebif since 2012, Vitamin D 4000IU

Comment

I believe someone mentioned, in a different thread, their tremors being successfully treated with Valium. Maybe your doc could try you on a very low dose. Good luck with getting that bugger treated!
              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I'm not sure what kind of tremors I have either. But I notice them most in the morning along with my other symptoms. My hands shake a little and I feel weak.
                Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
                X